Libram Magica

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Spells Needed

Post by Dimirag »

Sake Charm: Rules Cyclopedia and 1&2Ed AD&D Cleric Spell, Lvl 2, I'm sending it to you by P.M....
They're basically the same spell, big difference is that in RC the effects is based on snakes and caster HD/Level, while in AD&D is based on HP, also the later has a little more explanation.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am surprised that blatant omissions can still be found. I even rewrote the Druid doc myself a few years ago (back then it just said use cleric tables, and noted differences). Funny to still find that sort of stuff.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Cure Disease is listed as reversible, but no details regarding "caused diseases" is listed. I would assume there should be some limits or other parameters to the nature of the diseases bestowed upon a being.

I am thinking this could officially go into the Errata Thread as this one comes from core rules.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Big round of across the board editorial efforts...
loads of minor fixes throughout (fix formats, fix units, removal of contractions to aid non-native English speakers, more)
level information added and modified (general format changed to abbreviations to allow for more info in header)
a couple of additions

49 pages of solid spell entries, no art, or other padding. loads of info here.

First Post of Thread Updated with new file for any who want a look.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Hey Smoot I will have those spells soon. Feel free to change them if you want just don't touch Blizzard, that's my favorite spell of all time. :P
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Hey Smoot I will have those spells soon. Feel free to change them if you want just don't touch Blizzard, that's my favorite spell of all time. :P
When I write/compile for supplements (where I am the primary writer), I reserve the right to complete editorial control :twisted: at least in the sense that I would not arbitrarily modify the mechanics of any spells, though I may edit the fluffy text here and there. Of course, I tweak any formatting to match the rest of the document (I spell out Feet, Rounds, etc. and do not use contractions, try to use consistent spacing, tables use same formatting when possible, etc.)

Mostly I just try to maintain consistency of the information flow and norms of the format itself.

I look forward to seeing the spells. I like inspiration, wherever it comes from... not just ideas generated in the eighties. Don't misunderstand, I love the games from the eighties, but I am grown up enough to know that great inspiration can come from some modern sources as well. :ugeek:

The Race called Bisren (new races supplement) comes right out of WoW inspiration, of course named differently. I don't use too much from any one source, but my sources are many (Tolkein, CSLewis, WoW, Japanese/Asian stuff here and there, even my (now departed) dog!)
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Yeah lots of sources for inspiration are good. The setting I am sort of creating right now draws from Tolkien (the Hobbit specifically), the Fable series of games (specifically Fable 2), MLP:FIM, etc. Lots of sources usually makes for an interesting game especially if you play up parts of those sources not normally utilized.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

So, Pyromancers...

anyone playtest with this class and/or the spells? Balanced? Should I simply add the spells to the document without much evaluation of each, or should I tear each apart to try to re-balance using my own judgement?

While I don't plan on using such a one-trick-pony sort of spell caster in my own games, some of the spells likely have some merit.

I have a mind to take the effort to re-write the class and the spells individually. That way the spells will at least have had another full round of contemplation and development.

Thoughts?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I thought I read somewhere that they were sort of OP. I can't remember where though. I think it was Solo that said it.
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

I had a Pyromancer in one of my campaigns late last year. I've not spoken on them, but I can say that they are pretty powerful in regards to sheer damage output they can reliably achieve after 5th-level in a day's worth of encounters (at least 4-6 or more in my games). That said, and it may just be my DMing style, their damage did not overwhelm the game, as they showed to be less than versatile than other magic-users in stealth and parlay centered encounters.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC