Libram Magica

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MedievalMan

Re: Spells Needed

Post by MedievalMan »

Your welcome. They were a blast to write up.
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

Might as well make an on-topic post. I saw thid name in Dragon Magazine as a spell that an NPC wizard had, but didn't have the AD&D splat it came out of, so I pulled this from my keister to have something for the mage to use.

Ice Knife
Magic-user 2
Range: Self
Duration: 1 round/level

You conjure forth a shard of ice, roughly the size and shape of a dagger. For the duration of the spell, the shard of ice can be used as a dagger in combat. It deals 1d6 (+strength modifier) cold damage on a hit, and can be thrown as a dagger. At the end of the duration the knife melts away into water then evaporates quickly.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Steveman wrote:Might as well make an on-topic post. I saw thid name in Dragon Magazine as a spell that an NPC wizard had, but didn't have the AD&D splat it came out of, so I pulled this from my keister to have something for the mage to use.

Ice Knife
Magic-user 2
Range: Self
Duration: 1 round/level

You conjure forth a shard of ice, roughly the size and shape of a dagger. For the duration of the spell, the shard of ice can be used as a dagger in combat. It deals 1d6 (+strength modifier) cold damage on a hit, and can be thrown as a dagger. At the end of the duration the knife melts away into water then evaporates quickly.
Nice one. I extrapolated on it a little. What do you think?

Ice Knife
MU 1
Range: self
Duration: 1 round / level

This draws water from the surrounding environment to create a large dagger of hardened ice in the caster's hand. The dagger causes 1d6 damage (plus Strength bonus if any), but the damage is treated as cold/frost. Against those with particular vulnerability to cold, such as creatures of fire or flame, the ice knife does double (2d6) damage. The wielder does not suffer any harm handling the cold dagger.

The dagger may be passed along to another to wield, or even thrown as normal dagger. While it provides no actual bonus to hit, the dagger is treated as a magical weapon (equivalent to +1) for the purposes of striking some creatures. The daggers melts away to nothingness at the end of the spell duration.

-------------

I have also added a Flaming Weapon (druid spell), Brighten (our first Illusionist Cantrip), Phantom Armor (another Illusionist spell), and I think a few others that have not been in BFRPG circles until now. I will try to add a few more and then will upload a new version of the files.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote:So, Pyromancers...

anyone playtest with this class and/or the spells? Balanced? Should I simply add the spells to the document without much evaluation of each, or should I tear each apart to try to re-balance using my own judgement?
Pyromancers have bad balance issues. Don't use them. Seriously.

Two of my players created the class, using the Illusionist as a model; however, it turns out that handing out fire spells early just results in burning down your campaign world. The pyromancer ends up dominating every encounter, at least until his spells run out, starting at just 3rd level.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

SmootRK wrote: Nice one. I extrapolated on it a little. What do you think?

Ice Knife
MU 1
Range: self
Duration: 1 round / level

This draws water from the surrounding environment to create a large dagger of hardened ice in the caster's hand. The dagger causes 1d6 damage (plus Strength bonus if any), but the damage is treated as cold/frost. Against those with particular vulnerability to cold, such as creatures of fire or flame, the ice knife does double (2d6) damage. The wielder does not suffer any harm handling the cold dagger.

The dagger may be passed along to another to wield, or even thrown as normal dagger. While it provides no actual bonus to hit, the dagger is treated as a magical weapon (equivalent to +1) for the purposes of striking some creatures. The daggers melts away to nothingness at the end of the spell duration.
I dig it.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Pyromancers have bad balance issues. Don't use them. Seriously.

Two of my players created the class, using the Illusionist as a model; however, it turns out that handing out fire spells early just results in burning down your campaign world. The pyromancer ends up dominating every encounter, at least until his spells run out, starting at just 3rd level.
That's about how I figured them out to be. Some of the spell ideas have merit, at least thematically. But each idea needs a more thorough re-thinking and re-write.

Thanks, I appreciate the hands-on evaluation of the class idea (pyromancer)... and I will take your suggestion to leave them out (as a class). Some spells might get some work and find their way in though, bearing in mind I will likely be extra harsh on my evaluation with Solomoriah's comments here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The key issues weren't the custom spells, they were the early Fireball spells.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:The key issues weren't the custom spells, they were the early Fireball spells.
Yes, I see your point. Second level spells should not be of the type to deal out level xd6 damage. If I were doing a pyro Mage I would instead keep fireball 3rd level and give a +1 per die bonus
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Hey Smoot I have a question. I had an idea about adding in domains and I was wondering what you thought of it. Its tangentially connected to spells so it would sort of go perfect with the spell collection.

The idea is that at first level a Cleric can select a domain that grants some sort of minor power or ability. Like +1 to fire spells, or re rolling initiative or surprise once per day (or more).

So what do you think?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Hey Smoot I have a question. I had an idea about adding in domains and I was wondering what you thought of it. Its tangentially connected to spells so it would sort of go perfect with the spell collection.

The idea is that at first level a Cleric can select a domain that grants some sort of minor power or ability. Like +1 to fire spells, or re rolling initiative or surprise once per day (or more).

So what do you think?
I tend to do this for clerics based upon the deity/religion in question. Some sort of deity specific perk.
Sometimes its spell choice
Sometimes its a Spell or Power that can be cast x/day.
Sometimes its the ability to use an alternate weapon such as sword (deity favored)
Special Resistance

For instance
Zeus clerics get access to Lightning Bolt Spell as if it was on the Cleric spell list (3rd)
Odin clerics use Spear and have access to some extra divination spells from MU list.

This is all done case-by-case; at least I have never put any real effort into codifying such specifics. Just not enough cleric players to bother with too much preemptive effort.