Libram Magica

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Libram Magica

Post by Solomoriah »

First you highlight the text where the reference needs to point (the actual spell title I assume), Ctrl-C to copy the text, then Insert, Cross Reference. Choose Set Reference, paste the text into the name field, and hit OK.

Now, put the cursor where you want a page number, and again Insert, Cross Reference. This time choose Insert Reference, click on the correct name in the list, and hit OK.

Voila.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
gg2

Post by gg2 »

It's different from putting a direct link in the tables, but you can add the Title Style, both are usable.
I know that BF documents don't use them much, but transforming spell titles in the descriptions into Style Title (1 or 2 or 3, it doesn't matter, it's a question of organization) allows to automatically transform all these titles into bookmarks when you switch to pdf. And these bookmarks will follow all subsequent modifications of the document.

You use your basic style for the spell names in the spell descriptions and pass it as a Title. Or you do the opposite, you use a Title style which you then modify at your convenience. That way you have a pdf that automatically has a list of bookmarks.
Moreover, when writing, if you associate a keyboard shortcut to the title style, it's very easy to manage.

If you want to see an example, I do it on all my translations when I can, the french magica libram is a very good example of the result. You open the pdf, you unfold the bookmarks list and you see the complete list of spells, just click on a name to go to the pdf.

and it also allows you to have an automatic "clickable" index which follows the modifications during the creation, you just have to update it during the modifications.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I need to look into automatic bookmarking. The styles for the Basic Fantasy books were all set a very long time ago, back in the dark ages of 2006...
gg2

Post by gg2 »

Styles... is life :)

Titles styles and character styles with keyboard shortcuts, it's really a huge time saver on big documents.

MSWord is better for that, but libreoffice does a good job, just a bit less ergonomic with keyboard shortcuts (and automatic alphabetical paragraph order when translating :evil: )
daryen

Post by daryen »

I was initially going to not add any new spells into Libram Magica while updating it, but I have decided to add two new spells. They are specifically intended to fill a couple of noticeable gaps. They are also very high level.

The first is Shadow Portal. Basically, it is identical to Faerie Ring, but links to the Plane of Shadows instead of the Faerie Realm and obviously has slightly different visuals. (A ring of mushrooms just doesn't work for anything "shadowy".) Yes, the Illusionist does get Astral Projection, but it seemed to me that having that link to the Plane of Shadow works, too. As a possible expansion, perhaps the Plane of Shadow also has some undead affinity, and so is also available to Necromancers? Not sure on that one.

The second is Raise Construct (not sold on the name yet). Basically, every spell caster current has a way to bring back someone who is dead. Clerics have Raise Dead. Druids and Magic-Users have Reincarnate. Necromancers have Undeath. In Libram Magica, Illusionists get Raise Shade. I'd like to add in Raise Construct for Spellcrafters. Basically, it allows them to call back a soul to house a construct. The construct would work similar to Raise Shade, except that the new body is a construct, not made of shadow-stuff. It would be pretty similar to their original form, but would be obviously constructed. (Maybe make it random as to whether it is some kind of metal or stone.)

Do either or both of those sound reasonable?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

gg2 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 am Styles... is life :)

Titles styles and character styles with keyboard shortcuts, it's really a huge time saver on big documents.

MSWord is better for that, but libreoffice does a good job, just a bit less ergonomic with keyboard shortcuts (and automatic alphabetical paragraph order when translating :evil: )
MS Word was definitely not better at it when I wrote Basic Fantasy. I didn't even know it supported styles, while OpenOffice put the styles right on the bar.

I don't use keyboard shortcuts; I've gotten into the habit of chaining them, and using the pulldown when I want to start a new thing. So my heading styles all have Text Body as the "next" style; MonsterBlock goes to HPCheckBoxes which goes to HPChecksEnd, WanderingMonsterBody and WanderingMonsterEnd alternate, and so on. In the newer adventures, the RoomHeading or MapKeyHeading style goes to BoxedText which then goes to Text Body. With a bit of careful spacing and entering I can extend a style, or delete and enter to make mismatched paragraphs the same. It's weird but I've gotten rather efficient at it.

I'll admit I messed up styling headings; I should have used the standard style names. But later versions of LibreOffice can make automatic table of contents layouts using custom style names, so it's not a big deal anymore. I did Iron Falcon right that way, using the standard names from the start, but to be fair I had several years of experience before I started that project.
gg2

Post by gg2 »

both are very good and at this level it is the mastery of the software that is most important, with each one having its own habits and strengths :)

I almost don't use MS Word anymore... but from time to time, I miss some little tricks on libreoffice... even if we always find a more or less elegant solution.
your style chains) are cool :)

but anyway, libreoffice is powerful and free... and that's priceless...
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

daryen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:07 pm I was initially going to not add any new spells into Libram Magica while updating it, but I have decided to add two new spells. They are specifically intended to fill a couple of noticeable gaps. They are also very high level.

The first is Shadow Portal. Basically, it is identical to Faerie Ring, but links to the Plane of Shadows instead of the Faerie Realm and obviously has slightly different visuals. (A ring of mushrooms just doesn't work for anything "shadowy".) Yes, the Illusionist does get Astral Projection, but it seemed to me that having that link to the Plane of Shadow works, too. As a possible expansion, perhaps the Plane of Shadow also has some undead affinity, and so is also available to Necromancers? Not sure on that one.

The second is Raise Construct (not sold on the name yet). Basically, every spell caster current has a way to bring back someone who is dead. Clerics have Raise Dead. Druids and Magic-Users have Reincarnate. Necromancers have Undeath. In Libram Magica, Illusionists get Raise Shade. I'd like to add in Raise Construct for Spellcrafters. Basically, it allows them to call back a soul to house a construct. The construct would work similar to Raise Shade, except that the new body is a construct, not made of shadow-stuff. It would be pretty similar to their original form, but would be obviously constructed. (Maybe make it random as to whether it is some kind of metal or stone.)

Do either or both of those sound reasonable?
It does to me, but will let Smoot and Solo weigh in.

As Solo mentioned, as this isn't a Downloads item it doesn't go through Projects.
But, before removing it I wanted to be sure you (daryen) have this saved outside of Projects before I remove it. Once you've completed the next release you'll need to PM Smoot to get it updated on his Showcase entry.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Yes, I downloaded a copy with the edits you made a while ago and that is what the current version is based on. Please feel free to remove it at your leisure.

On a more general topic, I have NOT forgotten about this. I have been waiting for the r10 update to Spellcrafters to be done before sending the updated version on. When I am done, Smoot (or someone) is going to have to help edit this thing back into shape, as there are a couple things I have just not been able to adequately figure out how to do. I just have to do another once-over to make sure everything is in there and make sure all of the spell descriptions have the latest version of everything. Then it should be ready to submit to Smoot so he can make it look like he wants/needs.

And for the record, it has *all* the spells in it, including those from Core.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

This is great, keep up the fine work! I will be using this pretty extensively I think.