Bard Class PEACH Version 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MedievalMan

Bard Class PEACH Version 3

Post Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 am

Now for something completely new and original. I wrote this class up a few months ago because I couldn't find a Bard that fit my own taste. I plan on adding it into my PBP game but I was hoping one of the more skilled designers here would take a look at it and inform me of any changes that need to be made. Thanks in advance for any feedback on the Bard. I also apologize for this not being in the normal BFRPG layout as I have no skill what so ever in layouts and formatting.

EDIT 3: Even newer version below.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2OIiZb ... NnU1U/edit
Last edited by MedievalMan on Thu May 17, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dimirag

Re: Bard Class PEACH

Post Tue May 15, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm planning on (eventually) doing a Bard Class, but as a cleric subtype, (so it won't have thief skills) the idea behind it is that the power of his music comes from his soul (so it will use the Turning Table for different effects).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
SmootRK

Post Tue May 15, 2012 2:40 pm

I made a Bard Quasi-Class. Completely non-magical in itself, a couple of thief skills (or enhancement of same Thief skills if the base class is thief), Lore, and abilities that generally only work to enhance allies (or penalize foes for some abilities). Because it is a quasi-class, it can be used to build whatever sort of bard concept is desired... 1e (using fighter, thief, or druid as base class), 2e/3e (using MU as base class), or even other new sorts such as Church Cantor (Cleric base class).

I have only played around with a couple of npc characters, but seems solid so far. Find it here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=124

One could easily convert the quasi-class into a so-called normal class/sub-class by choosing the relevant desired base class and simply layering the abilities on it, perhaps toning down a couple of elements for balance, such as slowing down the spells/level progression for a bard based upon MU.
MedievalMan

Post Tue May 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks Smoot for the recommendation. I haven't checked out quasi-classes yet. But I will now.
Joe the Rat

Post Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 am

If you want to stick with yours...

Switch Lore to Intelligence modified. Intelligence better reflects a broad knowledge base.

If I'm reading this right, it's Read Magic only for scrolls - so any other magic codes are unbreakable?
I've half a mind to suggest making it "read languages" based, or require a Lore roll to initially decipher.
Dimirag

Post Wed May 16, 2012 11:15 am

Sorry I didn't give any help in my first response...

Wisdom suits better for "lore" rolls because the Bard learns this stuff from tales, songs, gossips and from things he encounters in life, Intelligence serves better for classes that studies from books or tomes. You can use a level based possibility here too.

You can also use the Read Languages value for the Scroll Reading, just make it a roll with a penalty (so it needs higher levels to really function) or halve the percentage value.

The save for the Influence could be make against spells similar to a Harpy's Charm or another way of using the Influence:

"The Bard can, by means of singing or playing an instrument, apply an extra modifier to any reaction roll he makes. This extra modifiers equals to a +1 per 3 levels of the Bard. This works both with people and monsters. The max amount of people/monster on which the Bard can Influence is equal to his Level plus his Charisma Modifier".
MedievalMan

Post Wed May 16, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I made Lore based on Wisdom for just that reason. I based the Influence ability almost word for word on the version given in the revised 2E players handbook, so that's why the save is Paralysis based. I originally had Read Languages be the ability that allows Bards to read MU scrolls. I changed it simply because I could not figure out the wording for it, and what was keeping the Bard from simply trying over and over and over and over again. I could of course simply make it that the Bard could try the scroll once per day. But that's one of the reasons I came here to see what you guys thought about such things.
Dimirag

Post Wed May 16, 2012 12:50 pm

You can rule that if the Bard fails the Read Scroll roll he misread it making the spell fail and destroying scroll.
Joe the Rat

Post Wed May 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I was originally going to ask about why Climb Walls, of all the thief abilities, but then realized that a "proper" bard would get a lot of mileage out of climbing out windows for a hasty escape.
MedievalMan

Post Wed May 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I based the Bard about 70% on its 2E ancestor. 2E Bards were related to Thieves and shared some skills with them, thus the reason for giving them a few Thief skills. I am probably going to rewrite the use scroll ability to be based off of their read languages ability. So expect an update sometime soonish.