Creating the Half-Dragon

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MedievalMan

Re: Creating the Half-Dragon

Post by MedievalMan »

An interesting idea.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Alright the only other change I can think to make is allowing them to play as Clerics. Other than that I am very happy with them.

Also on a completely unrelated note. I am debating whether or not to allow Elves play as Clerics in my PBP game (they can at this point play Druids), I am having doubts about not allowing them to be Clerics though.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I don't usually use race limitation regarding to classes, only by "setting and common sense".
The Elves "worship" nature, so using the Druid is a good option, but if hey have gods, or a creed and its in their nature/society pray for them one can see Clerics Elves as a viable option. Some games allows the Elves to pray not to gods but to past heroes that have nearly god-powers.
The standard Cleric fits every class, but if you choose a particularly god it becomes interesting having different race-based gods. (Elves could be more nature-arts based).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Alright. I can ditch the druid class and instead add an elven nature deity to the game. By the way Dimirag are you currently in any PBP games, we still have 3 spots open in ours.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Alright the only other change I can think to make is allowing them to play as Clerics. Other than that I am very happy with them.

Also on a completely unrelated note. I am debating whether or not to allow Elves play as Clerics in my PBP game (they can at this point play Druids), I am having doubts about not allowing them to be Clerics though.
Your campaign is your own... if it seems inappropriate for any race to follow a particular path, then so be it.

I lean the other direction, personally. I have absolutely no restrictions on any races becoming any particular class offering, even when they are, by their very natures, not inclined to a profession... or their cultures are dis-inclined to accept such individuals. There are a few instances where I had modify a few rules, mainly for traditionally non-magically inclined races like dwarves to lose their traditional magical save bonus when they become MU classes... but overall, I have not encountered any screaming difficulties in maintaining balance or game play by opening such options up. Rather, it has produced some really creative characters...

Lumberjack Dwarf (Dwarf with Ranger class)
Halfling Wizard
Half-Orc (paladin) Crusader (actually Knight Class with Holy Quasi-Class)
lots more, as I use several alternate races as well.

Since all characters are assumed to be atypical from the general population, having a Dwarf Wizard is not such a big deal, even though I may role-play some difficulties as he gets queer looks from other dwarves or even shunned (in the Amish sort of sense) and ignored as if he does not even exist.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I sometimes allow races to play any class they want, sometimes I don't. However even when I don't I usually always allow characters to play Clerics and Fighters because those two classes are fairly universal. You can always train to fight, and usually a deity will answer any prayers you make (though I usually rule Clerics as rare and most priests are not actually Clerics).
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Sadly my "computer times" aren't always the same, and my limited English-language knowledge makes difficult to me to be in a pbp game.

As to the Elves-Druid/Cleric I would allow both, clerics turn undead whereas Druid controls animals (unless you shift the turning abilities based on being a follower of a Nature God).
I would allow:
Cleric: Any race.
Druid: Any "nature oriented" race (elves, forest dwelling humans), a dwarf could be a Druid but he probably would have a bad reputation among other dwarves
I have "under construction" the "Son of the Mountain" which resembles a Druid but from a Dwarves perspective
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Alright. Cool idea about the druidic dwarves.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I can imagine some dwarves saying to the Druid-Dwarves things as "son of an elf!!" :lol:
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Alright here is the final version of the Half-Dragon.

Half-Dragon
Description: Half-Dragons are the result of magical experimentation combining dragons and humans. Half-Dragons are easily identified by the scaly flesh, sharp teeth, reptilian eyes, long tail and large leathery wings. Half-Dragons find it difficult fitting in with normal society due to their draconic appearance, and most become adventurers simply to earn a living. Both male and female Half-Dragons stand some six and a half feet tall and weigh around 300 to 350 pounds. Half-Dragons have a long life span, typically two to three centuries in length.

Restrictions: Half-Dragons may become Clerics, Fighters, and Magic-Users, they may also combine the classes of Fighter and Magic-User. A Half-Dragon must have a minimum 13 in Strength and a 13 in Constitution, and may not have a Dexterity higher than 15. Due to their odd body shape any armor a Half-Dragon wears must be specially tailored to fit and costs x3 the base amount.

Special Abilities: All Half-Dragons have Darkvision with a 60' range. A Half-Dragons wings do not allow flight, but they do allow the Half-Dragon to glide reducing fall damage by up to 3d6. A heavily encumbered Half-Dragon is unable to use this gliding ability. Half-Dragons have a breath weapon that they can use once per day. This breath attack deals 1d6 points of damage per point of Constitution modifier, a successful save vs Dragon Breath reduces this damage by half. A Half-Dragons breath weapon deals one of the following types of damage; Acid, Cold, Fire or Electricity. A Half-Dragon's breath attack affects those caught in an area whether friend or foe, those who choose Acid, Cold or Fire damage affect a 30' cone shaped area while those who choose Electricity affect everything within a 10' wide 50' long line. Breath attack damage type is chosen at first level and cannot be changed once chosen. Due to their great size, Half-Dragons gain a bonus of +1 to die rolls when opening doors or performing other feats of Strength.

Saving Throws: Half-Dragons save at +1 vs. Death Ray or Poison.