#Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Level 1 (January)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
lars_alexander

Re: #Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition

Post by lars_alexander »

24 Infinity Room

*** start boxed text
This room's walls, ceiling, and floor are coated by a smooth mirroring material. Otherwise it is empty.
*** end boxed text

Creatures and characters must save vs. spells, or fall prone into a vivid dream reliving various events of their lives. The dream will last up to 2d6 turns. A succesful save still means the characters suffer from nausea, and receive a general modifier on dice rolls of -3 for 1d3 turns.

The room radiates magic that can be detected, but cannot be dispelled.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Update master post with all the new contributions.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm consolidating the first dungeon level and getting ready to post the new map for February. Here are some notes about things I changed. I have also added red text blocks regarding things I wasn't comfortable changing without the author weighing in first. Please post changes for materials I've swept up as new comments, not edits to the originals as I don't expect to need to look at them again.
MeasleTheStrange wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:34 pmThere is, however, a Potion of True Seeing (this potion works as the level 5 Cleric spell True Seeing from the core rules and has a duration of 24 hours)
I removed the rather long duration reference for this potion; this effectively changes the duration to the Core Rules standard of 1d6+6 turns, which is pretty generous honestly. Otherwise looks good.

LOOSE THREADS WE NEED TO TIE UP:

4. "The key is usable later in the dungeon" (with notes about the door it opens)
8. "On the southern wall there is a golden stove..." Is it actually gold? What does it weigh? What is it worth???
26. Disease "to be determined."
29. "This machine runs something deeper in the dungeon."
30. "This artifact is lost to the lower levels."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:23 pm Update master post with all the new contributions.
coureur_d_bois, please start a new thread for February's work. If you start it, you can make the first post the master. I can still edit it to add the map. When each month is done we'll repeat that, and combine the finished month with the master thread. That way each month won't be too long while we work on it but they won't get separated after we are done.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

By the way, we are still missing three rooms (27, 28, 31) to wrap up the first level.

Anyone feels inspired?
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

28 The last camp

This place is where the warrior maidens, and their allies made their last camp, before they were defeated.
Characters will approach either from the south-west door, or the north-east door. The corridors in front of both doors are littered with bones, broken weapons, and bear the markings of battle, fire, and chaos.

*** start boxed text
The heavy south-west door is badly damaged by axe-blows, and claw marks. A small opening allows to glimpse inside, where in the dark a tiny green-ish light flickers, with shadows dancing around it.

There is a lock on the door.

*** end boxed text

The south-west door is locked, and the entrance blocked from the inside by pieces of furniture. It takes a 1d3 turns to clear, or a 1d6 rounds to make enough room for a character to squeeze through with one round.

*** start boxed text
The north-east door is damaged, and looks crooked. A skeleton sits next to the door, arms crossed, hollow eyes raised upwards.

There is a lock on the door.

*** end boxed text

The skeleton belongs to the fleeing warrior maiden, that can be encountered on dungeon level 1. She met her death fighting, and retreating from her attackers, but couldn't open the door, and eventually died of blood-loss, and fatigue.
Her spirit wanders the dungeon, and can be randomly encountered. She sometimes warns of imminent danger by silently pointing to its source. She is yearning to heal a wound of shame, and regret. Either, the magic of the Infinity Room (24), or the instructions in the Sanctuary of Water (15) can be used to help her. The GM may reward 500 experience points for helping the spirit.

The north-east door is locked, and the door is stuck in the frame. It can be forcefully opened with tools. The entrance is blocked from the inside by furniture, just as the south-west door.

*** start boxed text
The hall furnished with wooden beams, and flats among the stone walls. In the center is a small camp of seven tents, and tarps made of hides, fur, and colorful blankets. The camp is fortified by huge wooden tables, benches, and other bits, and pieces of furniture, and household items.

Five skeletons are sitting in a circle inside the camp with arms crossed, weapons (spears, and axes) over their crossed legs, eyesockets raised upwards. They are illumined by a small crystal casting a green-ish candle-like flame that lies in the center of their circle.

A huge fire-place is situated in the south-east corner. Firewood is stacked next to it. Torches, and candles are placed on a table by its side.

*** end boxed text

The skeletons belong to the few remaining warrior maidens who had not fallen, or were turned to skeletons, or zombies. They died of their wounds, and in meditation.

In one tent are the skeletal remains of a gnome, dressed in precious magical robes (protection +2), with a shattered skull.

There is a hole in the lower north-west wall, next to a wooden beam. The hole leads to a system of tunnels through rock, and earth. Most tunnels are just big enough for a character to crawl through. There are chameleon rats in the system of tunnels.
Characters may use it to escape, or explore. Roll 1d6; on a roll of 1-2 they end up at the bottom of the south-east corner of room 26. On a roll of 3-4 they crawl into a dead end, and must back-track (roll again), on a roll of 5 they come back to room 28, and on a roll of 6 they drop through the earth into a cave full of chameleon rats with several tunnels leading from it.
Trapped, or lost characters may be rescued by a root crawler: On a roll of 1-2 on 1d6 a nearby root crawler picks up their distress, and digs its way through to them. It will entangle up to two characters, and transport them to a safe place, digging 5' per turn, and probably breaking through a wall, ceiling, or floor of rooms 28, 26, or 27. It will close its own tunnels behind itself.
If the characters fight the root crawler, it will not kill them, but try to render them unconscious, then take them to a safe place.
If there are more than two characters to be rescued, it will come back for the others.

Encounters (1d6):
1-3: 2d6 normal chameleon rats enter from a tunnel at the lower north-west wall, to routinely clean the place of insects, and debris, if any.
3-5: 1d2 skeletons crawl out of the tunnel at the lower north-west wall, and attack the characters.
6: The apparition of the running warrior maiden beckons the characters to the north-eastern door.
  • [*Added a few notes on the tunnels, the root crawler, and fixed a few typos.
Last edited by lars_alexander on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd like to see some suggestions for an overall name for this project; I don't care for the generic "Dungeon23" or variations thereof.

If we get a few suggestions I'll do a poll.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Title for Room 29.

Not very creative but here's a couple of suggestions:
Apparatus Room
Mechanical Room
Gnomish Enigma
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

suggested project titles:
  • The Labyrinth 'tween roots of Undead Mountain
  • Between the Roots of Undead Mountain
  • The Tale of Forlorn Gnomeheim
And incidentally, I just listened to this: David Bowie - Underground
Rik Pease

Post by Rik Pease »

Room 26 updated on original post. You're welcome 😊
That which does not kill you is likely to still hurt alot, so best avoid it if possible.