My Western Lands Class Modifications

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Kane

My Western Lands Class Modifications

Post by Kane »

I've made Halflings and Dwarves limited to Fighters (max level 8), and Elves to F/MU (max level 10) in the BXish style. Humans can be any of the four classes, and have a maximum of level 14 in all. I wanted to add some simple abilities inspired by other editions and OSRs. Fighters get the biggest boost by far, and I may find another one to give to Magic Users.

Fighters
Combat Mastery
Against opponents with one hit die or less, the Fighter gains an additional melee attack per level, which can only be used against such opponents.

Deadly Attacks
The Fighter gains a +1 to damage with all weapons at first level., increasing to +2 at level 3, +3 at level 6, +4 at level 9, and +5 at level 12.

Clerics
Parsons
Clerics are important parts of the communities and institutions of divinity, and gain a +2 reaction roll to members of their own sect, and a +1 from those who share and recognize their alignment.

Divine Inspiration
Once per day a Cleric may ask his deity for divine guidance. This has a 1-in-12 chance of being answered, adjusted by the Cleric’s Wisdom modifier. The cleric gains an +1 to this roll the third level, increased to +2 at sixth, +3 at ninth, +4 at twelfth and +5 at fourteenth.
If successful the deity provides (usually cryptic, sometimes in a dream, and not always immediate) indications of what the deity wants the cleric to do. These may be very different from the party or cleric’s immediate priorities. Failed or succeeded, it may not be attempted until the next day.
On a roll of 12, the character has offended the deity. He suffers a -1 penalty to reaction roll from all members of his sect, and to his saving throws, until he has ritually atoned, a process which takes 4+1d4 days, adjusted down by one day per point of Wisdom modifier and up for each point of penalty.

For Magic-Users
Occult Arcana
Magic-users are schooled in the occult and arcane secrets. Subjects such as alchemy, astrology, or cosmic philosophy may be answered by the Magic-user.
To answer occult questions the magic-user rolls 1d20 and adds his Intelligence bonus, with a target of 15 for easy questions, 16 for medium and 19 for hard questions. Questions outside the ambit of arcana and occultism – history, heraldry, etc. - are more difficult to answer: Easy questions have a target of 19, medium a target of 20, and hard a target of 25.
Having access to scholarly facilities gives a +1 bonus per 5,000GP value (maximum +6). Reduce the value by -4 if the magic-user does not have exclusive run of the facilities.
This ability cannot be used in a generic sense to ‘gather information’, but only to answer specific questions the player can articulate. The DM may judge that some questions may involve multiple rolls for different elements of the answer.

Thieves
Tumbling
When able to tumble a thief suffers no damage from the first 10’ of falling. Further damage is reduced by -1/die of damage, increasing to -2 at level 4, -3 at level 8, -4 at level 12, and -5 at level 14. However, falling will still deal a minimum of one point of damage per die, regardless of the adjustment.

Assassination
If a thief is undetected by a human target he may spend three rounds studying them and then make an attack with a melee or ranged weapon (within 30’). If successful the opponent must save vs. Death or immediately die. If the target makes the save it suffers normal damage.