Chrysogon's Coterie - 288 NPCs for your Campaign

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Boggo

Re: Chrysogon's Coterie - 288 NPCs for your Campaign

Post by Boggo »

toddlyons wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:19 pm
Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:10 pm Definitely the left one, Gabes cover is too close to the rulebook one for me to easily spot the difference at a glance (or even a full blown quick look)
Wowsers. You weren't kidding when you said you were colourblind. :D
I mean, I can see the difference, but if they were on a table in a dim room I couldn't spot the difference, Blue's however, I actually differentiate shades better than normal, but red/orange and green/yellow are tricky to spot subtle changes
No matter where you go...there you are
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

When I picked the orange I used for the border, I was trying to stay away from the orange used for the AA series though I’m ok with that if we don’t need it to be different.

I was trying to find a colour that’s between red, orange and yellow to match the colours of the cover. Yellow is for the core books while red is for the BF series.

So if I want to stay in that colour scheme, it will be difficult to find a shade that is not similar to ones already in use.

The question I have though is how important is it really to have a shade that is distinct in the dark?

I don’t think anyone will grab this book thinking it’s a core book because it’s border looks yellow, right?

That’s my take at least. In the end, I don’t mind whatever choice but i hope the border colour we pick wouldn’t clash with the colours of the cover art.
Last edited by gabeprime on Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

I made 4 more cover mock-ups with different border colours. Would any of these be ok?
4B836521-22C2-4246-81D0-B5A4A70F1C06.jpeg
4B836521-22C2-4246-81D0-B5A4A70F1C06.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 518 times
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

all 4 pass the colourblind test :D I like C myself, but since I see Blue better I naturally gravitate to blues
No matter where you go...there you are
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Thanks, Gabe. Great initiative.

I still love your electric orange the best, but I could also be satisfied with A and D.

And if you have a favourite, you should weigh in at the end.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Todd, I'm cool with A or D either one. (I'm cool with all four, to be fair. None stray too close to the existing colors.) So tell me which, and that will be the one I use.

Gabe: What font did you use in your earlier cover mockup (not this one, the one you made before I posted mine)? The more I look at it, the more I like it. Traditional straight-tip calligraphy but not too heavy or hard to read.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

To be clear, I'm talking about this cover:

gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:34 pm Todd, I'm cool with A or D either one. (I'm cool with all four, to be fair. None stray too close to the existing colors.) So tell me which, and that will be the one I use.

Gabe: What font did you use in your earlier cover mockup (not this one, the one you made before I posted mine)? The more I look at it, the more I like it. Traditional straight-tip calligraphy but not too heavy or hard to read.
My vote for colour is A followed by D too.

As for the font, it’s called Chomsky. You can get it and its license info from here: https://github.com/ctrlcctrlv/chomsky

A very similar font is KJV1611 if you prefer that: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/kjv1611
Hi! I’m Gabe.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

gabeprime wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:52 pm My vote for colour is A followed by D too.

As for the font, it’s called Chomsky. You can get it and its license info from here: https://github.com/ctrlcctrlv/chomsky

A very similar font is KJV1611 if you prefer that: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/kjv1611
Let's go with A then. And if we also go with your font choice as Chris is thinking, I'd like that too.

How do you get the nice white surround on the font, Gabe? At least on the top half, I prefer it to the shadow bar which we currently use...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I know how to get the white border. :D The font from EE didn't look right that way (to me, anyway) and that's where I stole the cover layout from.

Chomsky is a better choice, in my opinion. I've downloaded it, and will soon upload a new cover using it. I'm not sure it's a good choice for the subtitle though, as being smaller will make it harder to read.