Terror in Tosasth

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
leon

Re: Terror in Tosasth

Post by leon »

Elf_Bait wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:49 am This is an insane amount of work. Truly inspiring.
Thanks! Inspiration was one of my aims.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
leon

Post by leon »

Revision 4 is linked in the top post. Aside from minor text edits, I added Tommyknockers to the list of new monsters.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

Seven

Post by Seven »

9. Empty Grave

" Those healed from the wand gain a measure of alignment with Haderax."

As there is no alignment in BFRPG,, a different wording might be more helpful.

14. Grave

"Inside the pile of rocks is a 12-side box with no apparent opening, except for a finger-sized hole."

Need to specify the dimension of the box.

17. Damp room

"A door on the south wall presents as stuck because loose rock pushes down on the frame."

Maybe " A door is presently stuck because loose rocks push down on the frame."
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Leon,

I love this! I am anxious to run it myself and had a quick look. First, I love the consistent art style throughout (yours). It really ties it together. And I also loved how some individual monsters had names.

As for edit suggestions, I'd appreciate seeing the page headers fixed so that the module or chapter name is reflected there.

Also, here's where no XP is specified in the monster stat block:
* [w/ suggested XP]
** may include characters you might not intend to be killed, but could be

p.7 Cookie the Skeleton
p.8 Green Slime [XP 125], Gelatinous Cube [XP 280]
p.9 “Turds” (Spencer), Skeletons [XP 25 each], Sir Torpul (Wight)
p.10 Lady Masteline (Wight),
p.11 The Green Knight (Ghoul), Rot Grub [XP 10]
p.12 Gresp the Cactus Man, Skeletons [XP 25 each], Manny, 1st Level Fighter
p.13 Kahl (burly bandit), 1st Level Dwarf Fighters, Giant Rats [XP 100]
p.16 Hellhound [specify 205-800], Zombies [XP 75]
p.17 Owlbear [XP 360], Gargoyle [XP 320]
p.21 Rat [XP 360]
p.32 Giant Bat [XP 75]
p.51 Weretiger [XP nnn = 405]
p.64 Jonamor Nelaser, Rellora Imelel, Elf-at-Arms
p.91 Black Pudding [XP 1390]
p.92 Wights [XP 175 each]
p.93 Black Pudding [XP 1390]
p.94 Mummy [XP 450]
p.97 Gnoll Pack Leader, Gnoll Shaman
Last edited by toddlyons on Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leon

Post by leon »

The top post is updated with Revision 5.

Seven, thanks for continued feedback.

Todd, thanks for the comments on the artwork. I've added the missing XP values. I appreciate you giving the standard values. I don't intend any NPCs to be unkillable. When my players met Rellora, they nearly killed her, but in the the end agreed not a raid her family's tomb. Not having her to seal the portal would have been interesting.

I'll work on getting the headers to change for each chapter. It wasn't obvious when I started on the manuscript last year. I think it involves creating new "sections" in LibreOffice.

Seven

Post by Seven »

20. Weretiger camp

"two weretiger rogues"

I don't know what rogue means here. Do they live here? Are they prisoners?

How many beds are in the room? Which of the bed has money under it?

"A barrel covers a shaft in the floor that descends elsewhere into the vast underground world."

Needs more details than "elsewhere". Is the other end of the shaft covered or not?

21. Stone living Statue

"However, the statue is programmed to assault anything moving it detects."

Does it stop attacking once the target stops moving? Does it detects thing visually?

22. Former animal pen

Is the pit an area left to the GM to develop?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

leon wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:06 pm I'll work on getting the headers to change for each chapter. It wasn't obvious when I started on the manuscript last year. I think it involves creating new "sections" in LibreOffice.
Yes, you'll need to create new Page Styles for each section, and then do a manual Insert Break, where you can choose Page Break along with choosing which Page Style to apply. Those separate styles will allow different headers, etc. You may be able to apply it to a test copy of your document, or may need to create a new "skeleton" copy with all of the sections/styles set, and then copy+paste in the existing material.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Watch out for confusion here... "sections" means something different in LibreOffice. To be clear, except for two-column layout we avoid using "sections" as such.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
leon

Post by leon »

Seven wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:33 pm I don't know what rogue means here. Do they live here? Are they prisoners?
Nothing technical. Just the ordinary meaning of the word.
Seven wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:33 pm How many beds are in the room? Which of the bed has money under it?
Added "four", and (determine randomly). I guess I leave out these details when I don't think it matters to what I'm trying to accomplish, but I can see how players would ask for these details. In those cases, I just improvise. I take it that having these details written out ahead of the time is helpful to you as referee. I do like how you're calling out when the text is vague and can easily be more specific.
Seven wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:33 pm Needs more details than "elsewhere". Is the other end of the shaft covered or not?
I've added "and beyond the scope of this text." I leave connections outward from underground areas in case players want to go farther. If they went down this shaft, I'd generate something random or pull something out of a folder. I mostly was thinking the weretigers got there somehow.
Seven wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:33 pm Does it stop attacking once the target stops moving? Does it detects thing visually?
Good questions. "The statue is programmed to assault anything moving it detects via sonar. When movement ceases, attacks cease, though living beings find it hard to remain perfectly still."
Seven wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:33 pm Is the pit an area left to the GM to develop?
Yes, and noted as such.

Thanks again for your continued feedback!

leon

Post by leon »

chiisu81 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:08 pm Yes, you'll need to create new Page Styles for each section, and then do a manual Insert Break, where you can choose Page Break along with choosing which Page Style to apply. Those separate styles will allow different headers, etc. You may be able to apply it to a test copy of your document, or may need to create a new "skeleton" copy with all of the sections/styles set, and then copy+paste in the existing material.
Right. I sorted it out. I ended up needing to upgrade to LibreOffice 7.4 to get around 7.3 crashing every time I edited the page breaks. I was happy not to have to start over with a fresh template.