Spies

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Blorpy

Spies

Post by Blorpy »

I had burst of inspiration and quickly wrote down this class. It is very role-play heavy, using disguises and social mechanics.

As usual, lemme know your thoughts! I'll probably argue and then end up partly agreeing :lol:

Edit: R2 uploaded. Cleaned up some stuff and added Cryptography skill
Attachments
BF-Spies-Supplement-r2.odt
(39.87 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
BF-Spies-Supplement-r2.pdf
(119.04 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Last edited by Blorpy on Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LleijS

Re: Spies

Post by LleijS »

Very cool!

Based on this article about cryptography during the Middle Ages, perhaps adding a 'decipher script' ability would be appropriate.
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

Decipher Script is a brilliant idea. Nice essay too. Thanks for that!
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey Blorpy,

Cool idea for a class, has a lot of potential.

Firstly, I'd just copy the sneak attack rulings into the class, cause it's a pain to go to another book/document to find this stuff.

Secondly, I'd give this class the ability to Poison, just like the Assassin has. Assassinate may also be a good shout, though I would change the ability to reflect the spy's methods better (as they may be able to do something like this in public, with no one noticing what actually happened).

Lastly, I would also add a little bit about the type of people a Spy could work for, what connections they may find in any given city, etc.

Hope this helps :)
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

R2 uploaded. Cleaned up the document, implemented some suggestions, and added a Cryptography skill.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:38 pm Secondly, I'd give this class the ability to Poison, just like the Assassin has. Assassinate may also be a good shout, though I would change the ability to reflect the spy's methods better (as they may be able to do something like this in public, with no one noticing what actually happened).
I thought about doing this early on but decided against it for a few reasons. The first being that assassination is very seldom what a spy would be used for, as it severely compromises their ability to continue to spy. The second reason is that there is already an assassin class. I try to avoid overlapping roles when possible. The third reason is that technically anyone can poison someone. The assassin's specialty is being able to make the poison themselves, but if an employer really wanted to use a spy for this purpose, they could just give them the poison, or provide them with a connection to a local apothecary.

I feel that since fighting is a tertiary function for a spy, sneak attack covers this for the most part. A spy's role is mainly to not be noticed or suspected, so fighting is usually going to be detrimental to this aim. If they find themselves in a fight, then they're probably already in trouble and are going to be focused on escaping.
Attachments
BF-Spies-Supplement-r2.pdf
(119.04 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
BF-Spies-Supplement-r2.odt
(39.87 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
MelbaLee

Post by MelbaLee »

This is a nice character. I Wanna try it in games