Peoples of the Sands

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Peoples of the Sands

Post by Seven »

MedievalMan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 am
There is also the goddess Wadjet for some more serpentine representation. My original Set = Snake idea had more to do with Howard's Hyboria that real ancient Egypt.
Big REW fan here, so I totally got that.
However, Egypt isn't snake infested Stygia and Set was not competing with Egyptian gods but with Mitra and the like. Egyptian gods are humans with animal heads.
That opens the door to have evil gods with the animal part representing a larger proportion of the body. I find that more interesting than the Stygian Set which was often just the power behind Thoth Amon.

Regardless, follow your inspiration.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Oh absolutely, my intent wasn't to just translate Set from Hyboria into an Egyptian setting. My idea was to just use the serpentine motif of Hyborian Set with the Set of this world.

And I agree 100% with "That opens the door to have evil gods with the animal part representing a larger proportion of the body." that is kind of what I have in mind for the Sethiss now.
Nycto

Post by Nycto »

I love this, specially the Anubians! Knew they'd make a cool race the minute I saw them in the field guide.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nycto wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 am I love this, specially the Anubians! Knew they'd make a cool race the minute I saw them in the field guide.
When I created the Anubians for the Field Guide, it was intended that they at least be an NPC race comparable to the base races... when in those regions, folk to meet and interact with (or battle at times). Once Shonuff did the art... yes, felt the same; an awesome race. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought this.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Updated odt and pdf to v1.2
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Nycto wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 am I love this, specially the Anubians! Knew they'd make a cool race the minute I saw them in the field guide.
I always thought the same after reading the Field Guide. Even though Ubasti were the first race I created and were the ones started this whole process, even before I had them completed I was like "I need to add Anubians." Smoot does fantastic stuff and is always an inspiration for me.
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

This is a neat reimagining of the fantasy racial landscape. Looking forward to seeing how your setting turns out!

I would suggest that perhaps the heru could have some limited gliding capabilities, and that ubasti might have bonuses for climbing, jumping, and unarmed combat. Also, given that ubasti are based on Bastet, perhaps they could also have some limited ability to protect against or cure diseases. Just a thought. Such abilities could lead to some interesting role play opportunities, after all!

I note that you brought up imbalance as a point of concern. It’s always a tricky and abstract thing to measure, but I can imagine a few ways you could go with regards to that:

1. Treat level 1 monster races as being at a higher level. Maybe they need to get to level 3 worth in XP to effectively be level 2 in their class. This would be a very 3.5ish way of dealing with playable monster imbalance. They are effectively taking a level in ‘monster’.

2. Buff up humans. Perhaps you give them a free reroll for 1 stat, or the ability to swap a stat twice instead of once, or increase their xp gain, or provide an additional language or skill (if using these). Alternatively, you could also just have humans start at a higher level.

3. Give the monster races some disadvantages. Maybe they’re not as handy with most weapons and armour. And/or maybe they’re distrusted in most societies and suffer penalties to reactions. It’s not the nice way to go, I know, but it’s an option. People don’t like what they’re not used to.

4. Or, don’t worry about balance at all. Maybe it doesn’t need balance to be fun.

Anyhow this is all speculative. I’ll leave the decision making to you!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Re Bumping Up Humans:
It has been talked about a few times. Changing their Human XP bonus to 20% is not game breaking, and it is about as simple of a bump as is possible, especially since they get a +10% per core.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

Y’know, the more I think about it, the more I agree that +20% xp for humans is right on the money. It’s simple/elegant, doesn’t break anything, and it drives home the idea that humans’ superpower is really just naked ambition (“the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long”). It’s also just the right amount where my players might take another look at playing one. I don’t know if it’s because I’m in the millennial/west coast demographic, but nobody I know seems to pick humans by choice, which I always find lamentable. I’ve nothing against dwarves/elves, but humans are the most interesting race to me. So yeah, I’m plugging that straight into my house rules. Cheers.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Medieval Man.. good seeing ya! Glad to see a few of peeps still around or coming back.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony