Kingdom of Sussary

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Kingdom of Sussary

Post by Solomoriah »

So I had an inspiration... a small kingdom on the northern continent of the Western Lands where the line of succession is in question, and a party of adventurers who have no idea what they've gotten themselves into. I'll leave this initial manuscript for you guys to review and comment on; it's R3 because I've had a few people take a peek at it, but this is the first public release. It is far from complete, or even usable, but there's already a lot here. I see it becoming a full book on its own.
Attachments
Kingdom-of-Sussary-r5.pdf
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
Kingdom-of-Sussary-r5.odt
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Kingdom of Sussary

Post by Solomoriah »

*crickets*
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 pm*crickets*
lol, I downloaded and gave a quick scan so I intend a more thorough read through later with the other Western Lands sources to reference but....initial thoughts...
I love the plot and intrigue involved and look forward to a deeper delve. The NPCs are absolutely juicy with personality and background and again, I can picture absolutely loving bringing them to life at the table. In particular I want the Princess and her entourage to be met by the party in the thick of some battle where they are excelling at bad-assery. She just strikes me as a warrior princess. I love political intrigue but sometimes it gets too deep and complicated so hopefully it doesn't get too "plot twist with a plot twist and surrounded by intrigue" to follow.
Some of my questions....
The initial encounter is 2 Chimaera, what is the intended starting level for PCs going to be aimed at?
How long is this intended to be? Page-wise? How much of the PCs career-wise? Full on campaign spanning at least 10 levels or mini-campaign of the 2-5 level variety? Rewards- beyond the monetary...are we looking at pcs potentially becoming landed nobles? Knighted? Protectorates of the Realms? If they tread the opposing path and decide to work against the "good" what would change and apply the previous questions to that path?

I tend to pose questions that I would like to see answers for as a way to grow not only my knowledge of the project, but to maybe give others thoughts on the project as they decide if the questions are something needed and wanted so don't feel you need to answer them, just explore them.
Looking like a more than worthy start and something I am interested in heavily. Love the Western Lands and wanting more so this is very wanted.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

FakeHealer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pmlol, I downloaded and gave a quick scan so I intend a more thorough read through later with the other Western Lands sources to reference but....initial thoughts...

I love the plot and intrigue involved and look forward to a deeper delve. The NPCs are absolutely juicy with personality and background and again, I can picture absolutely loving bringing them to life at the table. In particular I want the Princess and her entourage to be met by the party in the thick of some battle where they are excelling at bad-assery. She just strikes me as a warrior princess. I love political intrigue but sometimes it gets too deep and complicated so hopefully it doesn't get too "plot twist with a plot twist and surrounded by intrigue" to follow.
It's my intent as much as possible to allow the GM to tailor this aspect to his or her needs. Some may go for the intrigue hammer and tongs, others may dust it lightly here and there.
FakeHealer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pmSome of my questions....

The initial encounter is 2 Chimaera, what is the intended starting level for PCs going to be aimed at?
4th to 6th level, as it states on the title page. If they play well, two chimerae shouldn't be too bad. Of course, I do plan to soften them up first...
FakeHealer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pmHow long is this intended to be? Page-wise?
This is a BOOK I'm starting here. If it develops as I would like it will be 100 to 200 pages long.
FakeHealer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pmHow much of the PCs career-wise? Full on campaign spanning at least 10 levels or mini-campaign of the 2-5 level variety?
Somewhere in the middle. Though an enterprising GM who wanted to run this campaign could start by sprinkling other adventures of ours around, both outside and inside King Oscar's country, before things really get started.
FakeHealer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pmRewards- beyond the monetary...are we looking at pcs potentially becoming landed nobles? Knighted? Protectorates of the Realms?
Maybe. Sussary culture is weighted against foreigners, especially elves and halflings, and so such lofty positions would certainly require the Princess to ascend to the throne.
FakeHealer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pmIf they tread the opposing path and decide to work against the "good" what would change and apply the previous questions to that path?
Count Rickard is an extreme example. Those not born in Sussary would never, ever be raised up by him to any sort of high position, though he might be coerced or otherwise influenced to treat a party a bit better than the peasantry. PCs who throw in with him, at my "table" at least, would be promised anything for their help, but any promise that would actually raise them "above their station" according to the Count's opinion of things would never actually be fulfilled. I mean, he's a murderer, of course he won't hesitate to break a promise.
FakeHealer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pmI tend to pose questions that I would like to see answers for as a way to grow not only my knowledge of the project, but to maybe give others thoughts on the project as they decide if the questions are something needed and wanted so don't feel you need to answer them, just explore them.

Looking like a more than worthy start and something I am interested in heavily. Love the Western Lands and wanting more so this is very wanted.
Your questions are welcome, as is any participation you want to throw in.

In my imagination, the book would include maps of all seven towns (none are huge) with a brief list of points of interest and a handful of interesting NPCs (most described more briefly than the "main cast" I've already defined). Castle floorplans for Uzenhold, the King's palace, and Count Rickard's castle will definitely be needed. And it should include adventure opportunities for all seven towns.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Here are a couple of views of the fortress of Uzenhold, as I imagine it. I'm hoping for professional art assistance, of course. I expect I'll need six tactical/dungeon maps for this, being overhead view (rooftops), upper tower level, upper keep level, middle keep level, approach level, and dungeon level, where that last level will include the secret tunnel mentioned in the text.
Uzenhold Pass Map OL.jpg
Uzenhold Pass Map OL.jpg (168.78 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
Uzenhold, South Approach OL.jpg
Uzenhold, South Approach OL.jpg (492.85 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Is this meant to be somewhat similar to Karameikos?
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

Very nice...the drawing for Uzenhold is great inspiration. I will get back to this when I have more time to sit and marinade a bit.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 amIs this meant to be somewhat similar to Karameikos?
No. If it's similar, it's accidental. The overall storyline was inspired by a story another guy told on another forum, and the kingdom itself grew out of what I had available space-wise in the Western Lands and my own imagination. Sussary is a "petty kingdom" which, despite being almost 500 years old, is still relatively lightly populated; it's a dangerous territory, and only began to grow significantly in the last century as the greater monsters have finally been thinned out.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

FakeHealer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:30 amVery nice...the drawing for Uzenhold is great inspiration. I will get back to this when I have more time to sit and marinade a bit.
Thanks. It's terrible as a work of art, but I think it gets my idea across pretty well. I need to draw an actual floorplan before someone else takes a crack at drawing it though.
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:16 am
FakeHealer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:30 amVery nice...the drawing for Uzenhold is great inspiration. I will get back to this when I have more time to sit and marinade a bit.
Thanks. It's terrible as a work of art, but I think it gets my idea across pretty well. I need to draw an actual floorplan before someone else takes a crack at drawing it though.
What size castle/hold is it going to be? Something along the line of Morgansfort? Or more of an enlarged and heavily fortified tower?