Monks and Guardians

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Pirate GM13
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 am

Monks and Guardians

Post Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 am

Hello everyone, I decided to get to work on two new sub classes for the fighter and Cleric, though technically Monk could be for both.
I am still writing the actual thing, but I wanted to share my ideas first and then send the file.
Monks would be open hand specialists, respecting the 5 golden rules of martial arts :
Effort
Self Control
Sincerity
Passion
Freedom (these may need to be worked on)
Then the guardian would be kind of related to the Monk but as a fighter subclass, so it would be able to take hits for friends, basically the "tank" of the party, but it would also be able to use open hands to knock enemies back from allies and catch attacks, but as a support rather than a direct attack.
Ex. Monk would be agile, think like a thief and Cleric mixed with open hand techniques. It would strike directly and actually use it's abilities to fight.
The guardian would be a version of Monk without the five martial rules, and instead of using it's abilities to blood the enemy, it would use them to protect others and knock foes away rather than knock then out. Guardians can still use weapons such as short swords and daggers.
Once I finish the first draft of it I will post it so you guys can get a better idea of what I mean, because I don't think I am explaining it very well :lol:
Edit: OK just added the files.
Attachments
BF-Monks and Guardians-r4.odt
(35.96 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
BF-Monks and Guardians-r4.odt
(35.96 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by Pirate GM13 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
User avatar
Dimirag
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A.), Argentina
Contact:

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:05 am

Moved to GD as no material is shared at the moment.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Pirate GM13
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 am

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 am

Ah sorry my bad.
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
User avatar
SmootRK
Posts: 3916
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Contact:

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:26 am

Pirate GM13 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 am Ah sorry my bad.
No worries. Happens all the time. When you have a document with actual contents, we can easily move into workshop section again. Just how things roll here.

I had worked on some monkish ideas within the Showcase Quasi Class document. Feel free to investigate for some ideas.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Follow me to the Moon https://dogecoin.com/
User avatar
Dimirag
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A.), Argentina
Contact:

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:33 am

There are several monks and monk-tupe classes, plus a martial artist, you can check those to take ideas or to see how far or close to those supplements you want to stay.

Once you have some material, be it a file or text we can move this back to the workshop. Just make sure to put it on the first post.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Pirate GM13
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 am

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:01 am

SmootRK wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:26 am
Pirate GM13 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 am Ah sorry my bad.
No worries. Happens all the time. When you have a document with actual contents, we can easily move into workshop section again. Just how things roll here.

I had worked on some monkish ideas within the Showcase Quasi Class document. Feel free to investigate for some ideas.
I just checked out the Quasi Class (in the showcase), and the monk seemed really cool. I don't think I'll implement anything from it (yet).
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Pirate GM13
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 am

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:02 am

Pirate GM13 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 am Hello everyone, I decided to get to work on two new sub classes for the fighter and Cleric, though technically Monk could be for both.
I am still writing the actual thing, but I wanted to share my ideas first and then send the file.
Monks would be open hand specialists, respecting the 5 golden rules of martial arts :
Effort
Self Control
Sincerity
Passion
Freedom (these may need to be worked on)
Then the guardian would be kind of related to the Monk but as a fighter subclass, so it would be able to take hits for friends, basically the "tank" of the party, but it would also be able to use open hands to knock enemies back from allies and catch attacks, but as a support rather than a direct attack.
Ex. Monk would be agile, think like a thief and Cleric mixed with open hand techniques. It would strike directly and actually use it's abilities to fight.
The guardian would be a version of Monk without the five martial rules, and instead of using it's abilities to blood the enemy, it would use them to protect others and knock foes away rather than knock then out. Guardians can still use weapons such as short swords and daggers.
Once I finish the first draft of it I will post it so you guys can get a better idea of what I mean, because I don't think I am explaining it very well :lol:
Edit: OK just added the files.
Someone may need to edit these files as I have no idea how to use Libre Office to write stuff in the Basic Fantasy format/fonts.
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
User avatar
Dimirag
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A.), Argentina
Contact:

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Dimirag wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:05 am Moved to GD as no material is shared at the moment.
Aaanddd now its back to the Workshop!
I've uploaded a "formatted" version to the first post, with some minor tiny changes.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
User avatar
Dimirag
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A.), Argentina
Contact:

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:53 pm

Ok, review time!!!
It seems that both classes uses non-orthodox XP and HD progression, something I'm not a fan of...
Monks can cast clerical spells, I assume they do this by praying the same as standard clerics.
Monks require more STR and DEX than WIS, but they are spiritualist/cleric first...
Monks are able to wear full plate armor, but they can't use their special abilities... seems weird to me.
Are they suppose to be able to combine Chi Flow with the other 2 abilities?
Earthen Guard & Light Movement take no time to start working right?
I'm not a fan of double action from Light Movement, I guess lightness = speed, but if they fall they take double damage...
Earthen guard says resistant to damage, what does that mean?

If these abilities are balanced itself and against each other it would be better to not limit them to daily uses.

Guardians are fighters but require less STR than monks... they do not require DEX but they have an ability based on speed and reflex (catch/deflect), they require CHA but they are bodyguards, not leaders or people charmers...

Catch is used as a reaction, what does that means?
I don't think the daily limit on the special abilities are needed, after all they can miss when attempted.
What happen when an opponent whose weapon is catch has its next action before the Guardian do? I guess it can drop the weapon or yank the guardian to its side the same way the guardian may try to do.
"He rolls whatever check the GM decides", do not like this, the are rules for grappling.
When Deflect/Catch is rolled? Before knowing the attack hits? After but before rolling damage?
For knock I would based the limits on weight rather than size.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Pirate GM13
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 am

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:05 am

Yeah this is gonna take some work...
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests