Hexcrawl Procedures Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
CptClyde

Re: Hexcrawl procedures?

Post by CptClyde »

Alrighty, here's r7.
Includes some minor fixes on rules, clarifications, and some editing trying to make it so not EVERY table ends up being on a page break.
Now I think I may take a day or two off and let this simmer here without such a flurry of changes/additions.
Have a good week folks.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I took a look at your R7 and it's a lot nicer. Is it still a one-author project?

Besides the parts you list as still being missing, there are some formatting irregularities in the tables that I'll address when it reaches final stage. However, one big omission is the OGL... all supplements must be OGL covered, and a proper end-page text needs to be there. I can take care of this for you as well if you want.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:23 pm Is it still a one-author project?
Yes. None of Muze's material was added. I haven't contributed any new ideas to the original point form listing. I just expanded them into full sentences with the addition of some linking words, re-worded a bit for clarity, turned some sections into new tables, numbered and named the tables and added the section header names. It's just editing and formatting.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Yes as Todd has said I have not incorporated anything in from Muze's work and to be honest not entirely sure how to fit it in anyhow since I've been playing this way for so long. Perhaps it could be a seperate offering whcih could be plugged-in/added-on to any game. Sorry I didn't get it in Muze.

I am a little clumsy with formatting of tables and layout work, Solomoria if you had the time to make any changes you see fit please have at it. While I am on this content prodcution tear I will try to knock out the missing content forms (hexcrawl GM screen, hexcrawl log, etc.).

I do hope all this editing work makes it playable for others as I would love to see more people playing this style, maybe with a WestMarches style cast of players too. Oh the death and carnage. Now THAT kind of game I'd watch over Critical Role any day lol.

...speaking of death and carnage, I should make mention of that maybe in the opening paragraph something along the lines of "if you play this by strictly adhearing to the procedures and not fudging any random monsters, expect to have many a hilarious (albeit sometimes needless) character deaths, especially at lower levels. But if you have the stomach to play it out you will find the pay-off comes in story development as survivors start to really build a history".
Muze

Post by Muze »

No hard feelings here. Love what is in this so far, really good stuff. Can't wait for R8. Keep up the amazing work.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Muze wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:03 am No hard feelings here. Love what is in this so far, really good stuff. Can't wait for R8. Keep up the amazing work.
Thanks so much for your support Muze! I do secretly hope to be able to use your interesting weather table someday to add a little environmental detail flavour, but currently my group is on break until Christmas. I do hope something of use comes out of this glut of text for your games as well.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so... CptClyde's supplement doesn't just implement the hexcrawl, but a *random* hexcrawl; terrain is determined by die rolls, as are contents. This is a very interesting and useful concept all on its own.

Muze's supplement does have some interesting bits, particularly the weather tables; however, I'd like to see weather tables that have a bit more seasonal overlap. Random hot days in fall and spring, pleasant days in winter or summer, such as that. And yeah, I'd like to see that mechanic incorporated into a supplement like CptClyde's.

I'd like to see more-or-less separate guidance on creating hexcrawl adventures (randomly or otherwise) and on running such adventures. It should be possible to index such a book so that the relevant parts can be found. If this were incorporated into the Core Rules, the parts about running a hexcrawl would be in the Adventure section but the parts about creating and stocking a map would be in the Game Master section.

I don't want to be too pushy here, nor to prescribe things too much to you (as I am not, obviously, doing the work). Rather, I'm hopefully offering some guidance on creating a book we can all benefit from.

And I do mean book. If this tops out over 20 or so pages properly formatted, we may find a way to get it into print.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Let me take the old +3 Warhammer of Red Ink out and whack away at this.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Shouldn't it be "Warhammer of Red Ink +3"? :D :D :D :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You're a cruel one, Rosisha... :D