Races and Classes Restrictions Charts

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
lievresauteur

Races and Classes Restrictions Charts

Post by lievresauteur »

Hi! I'm currently producing a chart that would present the different races and classes restrictions of the main game and official supplements. I got this idea when I noticed that the paladin was available to any race but that the assassin was only available to humans, thus that my preconceived impressions about those were probably wrong.

Here's my question: What are the race restrictions of the illusionsist, necromancer, spellcrafter and druids? For the three magic-user subclasses, it says that they should be considered as magic-users for any situation not covered in the document. I then assumed that they were available to any race that can also become a magic-user. Regarding the druid though, nothing seems to be said at all. I could assume that any race can become a druid, but it seems very strange to me that a dwarf or gnome could become a druid. What are your thoughts about it?

I attached the prototype version of the document so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for your time!

Edit: updated the file with the newest version
Attachments
Character Races and Classes Restriction v0b.odt
(12.39 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Last edited by lievresauteur on Mon May 10, 2021 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lievresauteur

Re: Races and Classes Restrictions Charts

Post by lievresauteur »

So I dabbled a little more with the races and classes restrictions of the core rules and official supplements.

I decided for now to follow some rules about previously mentioned ambiguous classes restrictions. First, I allowed the illusionist, necromancer and spellcrafter classes to any race that has access to the magic-user class. Also, I allowed the druid class to any race that has access to the cleric class. Regarding the mention : «This race has access to any classes» often seen in the supplements, I decided to take it literally and allow them access to all classes with the exception of multi-classes or specially mentioned cases (the assassin comes to mind). On another note, I added the bard class from the bardic supplement, simply because I believe that class should have an official download entry.

Regarding the new version of the document, it now has 3 different charts. One for the core rules+ half-humans, one for the new races supplement and one for the monster as PC supplement. It includes all of the official classes supplements and I also placed everything in alphabetical order. The format is definitely not to my liking, but I decided to only work on the document with google docs as I wanted to take the opportunity to see how that software works. Version 1 will probably be redacted through a proper office suite because I'm not satisfied with google docs for now.

Please any comments and critiques are welcome. I'm particularly interested to know how any of you interpreted the classes restrictions between races and classes from the different supplements. Thanks, cheers!
Attachments
Character Races and Classes Restriction v0b.odt
(12.39 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

I'm not sure if this helps, but my general rule is to eliminate race/class combos and have done so since 2nd Ed :) I have yet to receive a compelling narrative to why they should exist. Still I think you're on the right track with this for those that do use it. My interpretation regarding any magic user class is that they are a SUB class of the Magic User - and as a result, unless stated otherwise, should follow the MU class restrictions!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have not used class restrictions on races (any races) for a very long time now. Never encountered any real balance issues. When there seems to be something odd... such as a Dwarf Magic-User, I address it in the role-play arena; such a character might be seen as odd or even as an outright heretic by members of the race/culture, possibly even encountering active hostility....

...but bring me a good backstory, and the race/class will work for me (in the game mechanics sense).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?