New Class: Wanderer

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Olupo

New Class: Wanderer

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi everyone,
I created the Wanderer class last year for OSE to use it for my next hexcrawl campaign. But I will use Basic Fantasy instead, so I want share my conversion with you. It is not play tested yet, so I'd love to get some feedback and thoughts on this class.
Attachments
BF-Wanderer-Supplement-r1.pdf
(126.75 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
BF-Wanderer-Supplement-r1.odt
(27.28 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
CptClyde

Re: New Class: Wanderer

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:03 pm

Cool welcome to BFRPG. What made you switch from OSE?
That pdf seems to be corrupted or something for me. Can you see it?
therealt

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:04 pm

It may just be me, but the PDF copy contains no text. I can only view "squiggly lines and boxes". It may be I do not have a font loaded that you are using.

Thanks!
Dimirag

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:09 pm

PDF seems to be corrupted/broken.
Far Travelled: The Wanderer reduces the chance of Becoming Lost by by adding +2, even if he is not the leader of the group. This only applies to overland travel.
Double space after the :
"Lost by by adding"
Should clarify what the +2 is added to.
Foraging: The Wanderer has a 2-in-6 change to succeed in foraging while traveling with normal movement. If successful, the wanderer can find vegetable, fruits, herbs, nuts, roots and mushrooms to nourish 1d6 people for one day.
"2-in-6 change to succeed" should be "chance".

The spell ability should be in one concise table.

It seems to be a cleric with no weapon restriction, no turning undead, reduced "arcane" spellcasting and free daily read magic spell...

I'm not sold on the full armored caster for a "wanderer" specially one that can have lower than 9 Intelligence. According to its description is a class that "search valuables far beyond treasure", are those valuable arcane spells?

The spells it can cast seems to let the class to cast up to either 7 1st spell level spells or 7 4th spell level spells (with a 17-20th Level MU casting only up to 4 7th spell level spells)

Free Read Magic, don't like at all. Should be equal to Magic Users or a one per level type of roll.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
teaman

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:12 pm

Neither the pdf or odt would open for me. I would still love to see the supplement.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Paladin

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:38 pm

The PDF is broken. :(
Everything was going well until the Anti-Paladin tossed the Halfling overboard in an attempt to distract the Kraken.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:55 pm

I just posted a fixed PDF. The ODT worked fine for me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:57 am

As someone who does magic intuitively, the free read magic makes sense, but I'd give a chance of failure. Reminds me of the Unearthed Arcana bard.
Olupo

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:37 pm

Thank you Solomoriah for fixing the pdf. LibreOffice is not able to export a proper pdf on my machine. Have to check whats problem.
Dimirag wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:09 pm
Far Travelled: The Wanderer reduces the chance of Becoming Lost by by adding +2, even if he is not the leader of the group. This only applies to overland travel.
Double space after the :
"Lost by by adding"
Should clarify what the +2 is added to.
Should be added to Death Ray saving throw or the Wisdom Ability roll, which ever is used. I will add that.

Dimirag wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:09 pm
Foraging: The Wanderer has a 2-in-6 change to succeed in foraging while traveling with normal movement. If successful, the wanderer can find vegetable, fruits, herbs, nuts, roots and mushrooms to nourish 1d6 people for one day.
"2-in-6 change to succeed" should be "change".
Typo, should be chance.

Dimirag wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:09 pm The spell ability should be in one concise table.
Your right, that would be better.

Dimirag wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:09 pm It seems to be a cleric with no weapon restriction, no turning undead, reduced "arcane" spellcasting and free daily read magic spell...

I'm not sold on the full armored caster for a "wanderer" specially one that can have lower than 9 Intelligence. According to its description is a class that "search valuables far beyond treasure", are those valuable arcane spells?
A restriction to leather armor plus shield might be better?
An additional ability requirement is a good idea. To become a Wanderer a character must have a Constitution and Intelligence score of least 9.
Yes, those are arcane spells. But also some kind of power. Which especially depends on the player. Its just some flavour text. This should not be over-intellectualized.

Dimirag wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:09 pm The spells it can cast seems to let the class to cast up to either 7 1st spell level spells or 7 4th spell level spells (with a 17-20th Level MU casting only up to 4 7th spell level spells)
The maximum level of the first version was 14. In the conversion I didn't thought about that. Maybe I will cap the maximum spell level to 3rd level spells.

Dimirag wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:09 pm Free Read Magic, don't like at all. Should be equal to Magic Users or a one per level type of roll.
Here I wasn't sure if keep it or remove.
Thank you for your feedback.

Seven wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:57 am As someone who does magic intuitively, the free read magic makes sense, but I'd give a chance of failure. Reminds me of the Unearthed Arcana bard.
Can you elaborate this a little further? I never played ADnD. The class should prepare spells as magic-user do. But the chance of failing is interesting.

CptClyde wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:03 pm Cool welcome to BFRPG. What made you switch from OSE?
Gut feeling, mostly. But I like the open source mentality and the whole "eco-system". Also the feedback is better. :D
Seven

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:24 pm

I don't remember the details and I might be confusing the source, but the idea is similar to how high level thieves were allowed to used scroll. You treat it like a thief ability with odds that don't vary much as you level, let say 40% to 55% max. This way the character has a chance of learning some of the stuff he encounters in his wanderings.

I'd also suggest a hefty chance of failure for casting magic while in metal armor.