Hit Dice as Attack Dice (easy-play group combat rules)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Hit Dice as Attack Dice (easy-play group combat rules)

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:31 am

Common procedure is to upload files on the first post, as to make them easily available, and, if you upload a new version replace the old one with the file upping its release number, such as "File-r1" to "File-r2".
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
billiambabble

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:00 pm

Okay will do.
billiambabble

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:36 pm

Simplified Group Combat - Revision 3 now added (see first post)

New rules added:
  • Group Combat - D6s Only
  • Alternative d6: "5s and 6s" (with example of combat)
  • Turning Undead
_

I'm particularly fond of a new idea which involves both sides rolling d6s and counting all 5s and 6s as "successes". Without a dice roller app this seems to be a faster method than adding up all of the dice results. I'm also finding myself preferring a system which uses one type of dice as opposed to the mixture of hit dice based dice which is what the original idea is based on.

I've tried to eliminate some typos but I seem to be confusing the upload system somehow (will return later, please forgive all my missing words etc)
billiambabble

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:10 pm

"Last Man Standing" rules have been to the "5s & 6s" section of the "D6s-only" method.
See revised Simplified Group Combat document (revision 3.3/23rdApril2021)

This is is really simple idea for resolving an NPC vs. monsters type battle. The example I have in my mind is of a large low level militia force defending a town from raiding orcs*. Collective Hit Dice are converted 1 to 1 to pools of d6s, these are the Attack Dice.
Preferably use d6s of two different colours to represent both sides. Roll all the dice at once (if possible - small dice are good here). Remove all the dice which are not 5s or 6s. Keep rolling all of the dice until only one colour of dice is left on the table. That side have won the battle, the others are wounded to incapacitation or have fled.

* Example of combatants:
A second level fighter general (2d6) leading twenty men-at-arms (1d6 each)
Attack Dice = 22d6
vs.
Five orcs (1d6) on Worgs (4d6 each)
Attack Dice = 25d6