Beneficial Necromancy

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Rosisha

Beneficial Necromancy

Post by Rosisha »

Hello Everyone,

So in the hit points discussion in General, I had mentioned some of the necromantic Magic User healing I had introduced back in my 2e days. I decided to convert it and get it up today for any who are interested. I have no problem with this being put into the Necromancer supplement either but am leaving it as a standalone for now.

Please let me know what you think. Some of this might require toning down. I tried to remember what I had in 2nd Edition - hence R1! Note also that this is not done. I still need to include the wailing woman and revenant monster entries, as well as some magical items.

Revision Notes & Edits
20210210 - Added in the two monsters, added an additional section for disease. No changes to spells at this point. Going to do a power review of the spells in the next section and also add some of the magic items. Have been working on a few other spell ideas. Hopefully this adds some inspiration to everyone out there!
Attachments
BF-Beneficial-Necromancy-r2.odt
(45.7 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Rosisha

Re: Beneficial Necromancy

Post by Rosisha »

R2 is out and attached!
Seven

Post by Seven »

The first picture that came to my mind when I read "Beneficial Necromancy" was that of a skeleton giving back rubs.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

"Summon Masseuse" On it. Level 2 spell? Or Level 3? Use of the Summon Masseuse spell will allow a full 24 hours of rest to restore 1d4 hit points.
Seven

Post by Seven »

More seriously, the only type of healing magic I would allow would be of the vampiric type. In a campaign with no gods, I'd fall back on herbal remedies, so the cleric would become an herbalist.

The cleric in a group tends to use most of his spell allotment on healing, which is arguable less fun than throwing fireballs around and turning opponents into toads. To compensate, the cleric is a much better fighter than the magic user.

But, if your players enjoy healing necromancy then it's not a problem for you.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Yeah I know it's not for everyone, but hopefully it provides inspiration! :)