Ruined Gates of Varos

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Francisco's Dungeon Project

Post by Solomoriah »

Seven wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:22 am11. This room has a giant statue, maybe an idol and 2 giant torches. There is also a font. This is the equivalent of a chapel, a place of prayer. The font might be for offering or it could be to receive visions. There could be a big fight here or just some clues.
I see this statue as female; do I have that right? A goddess, then.

Hmm.

This place was good, once. Varos was a hero of the kingdom, and of the people, a wizard of renown who travelled in the company of a great warrior and a priestess of the goddess ???. The dungeon was built beneath Varos' now-toppled tower. What foes could not destroy, time erased, so that in time the warrior passed and was interred within Varos' dungeon. But Varos refused to let time defeat him as it had his friend, and in his zeal to defeat death he strayed from the side of goodness, becoming first amoral and then properly evil. Not even the god of the underworld would defeat him! He descended into his dungeon to research the secrets of death and undeath, and the world forgot him except as a seldom-retold cautionary tale for young wizards.

Yeah, overdone. But it's a start, and it explains the mix of stuff in the dungeon about as well as anything.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Cool with Ruined Gates of Varos
Solomoriah wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:10 am 3. Francisco, please illuminate me (us, even): What is the diagram in the upper right of the map, the one with the arrow, telling me?
My guess was an ant hill. :)
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
daryen

Post by daryen »

... maybe the name of the goddess the priestess served has been forgotten over time. That way we don't even have to decide that. :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ruined Gates of Varos it is then!

Okay, so that's a side view then. Cool. So that room has an anthill... sounds like it needs ants.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I was thinking the same, and unknown, forgotten goddess, maybe of Life, Water, Magic and Mysticism.

Maybe his Kingdom fell to a disease and he alongside the priestess felt the impotence of their powers, so they turned into obscure and forbidden magic.

The cursed spirit of the priestess could be on room 11, she could be curse to not speak the name of the Goddess and to forever watch the effects their experiments had on the former king.

On Room 15:
The coffin/sarcophagus is made of gorgeous materials with an elaborated and intricate design, it has crystal windows on its left and right side, the rest of the fallen warrior can be seen inside, donning his gorgeous battle armor, his hand wraps an equally beautiful sword. It looks perfectly preserved.
Its top has an inscription:
"He rest the great warrior (trying to read the name makes the reader's eyes hurt, a second attempt will provoke a saving vs spell or be dazed for 1 turn). Death was the only fight he lost, but someday we'll reverse that"
Manipulating the soffin will result on the warrior raising as a Wigth.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

rredmond wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:20 am Cool with Ruined Gates of Varos
Solomoriah wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:10 am 3. Francisco, please illuminate me (us, even): What is the diagram in the upper right of the map, the one with the arrow, telling me?
My guess was an ant hill. :)
The creature is an arachnid, maybe ones that nest in what seems to be a normal anthill? Unless ants and spiders coexist, with the ants feasting on the fungi and the spiders feasting on the ants
Rosisha

Re: Ruined Gates of Varos

Post by Rosisha »

I was thinking that it was less ants and more some kind of termite based on the image underneath it. Or maybe a trap door spider(s)? Thoughts? :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, I was leaning toward Varos as a wizard, leader of an adventuring party. But Varos as a corrupted king works too. What does everyone else think?
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

I had been thinking a wizard, but a sorcerer-king works too.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I thought hims as both, a wizard that became a King.