Overland adventures.

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Tweeker

Overland adventures.

Post Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:12 am

I have been working on an adventure for a while now, and it features alot of overland travel and exploration. I wrote some expanded travel rules to supplement the rules in the main Basic Fantasy rulebook. I have gone thru a few different concepts of the rules, and I would appreciate some feedback. Here is an excerpt from the adventure with the expanded travel rules.
Is it fairly straight forward?
Are the explainations clear?
Is it overly complicated?
Any feedback is welcome.
Updated with version 2 of the rules.
Attachments
Overland Travel v2.odt
(68.59 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Overland travel v2.pdf
(437.94 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by Tweeker on Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweeker

Re: Overland adventures.

Post Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:28 pm

I did some further thinking about the numbers I laid out,
I was doing this for an adventure, so I was using a Hex size of 3 miles, which worked well for what I was doing. However other people might use different size hexes, and 3 miles might not scale easily to all of them. Atleast not without using fractions. So I tripled the movement points and movement cost, A first glance this would seem to have no real effect. Instead of costing 12 mp to cross a plain it now costs 36 mp, but you now generate 12 mp instead of 4 mp at a movement rate of 20.
What it does do is make it easier to change the map scale. For 1-mile hex the cost is 1/3rd of the 3 mile cost, from that 1 mile cost and hex size can be calculated. Simply multiply the travel cost by the map hex size, Movement points generated by the party remain unchanged.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Criticisms?
Attachments
Overland travel v2.pdf
(437.94 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Overland Travel v2.odt
(68.59 KiB) Downloaded 5 times