Hexcrawl procedures?

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Hexcrawl procedures?

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:39 am

Huh. It let me do it. I suppose it might be a matter of being the admin, but I don't think so.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
CptClyde

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:04 am

No worries man.
CptClyde

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:54 pm

Looks like you fixed it or did something magical there Solo because all my attachements are now showing. Thank you!

I need to take a short break from re-write/edit phase on this doc so as mentioned before, I have started playing through the procedures from scratch again (solo) and recording my play.
If anyone is interested it can be found here:
BFRPG Hexcrawl Adventures: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... aY0RDyygaA

As promised, there has not been any time put into production value here, just raw footage of one nerd rolling dice alone. If that sounds interesting to you then.... you are almost as sad as the guy in the video. Kidding!

And if anyone could share recordings of their experiences using it I'd LOVE to see that.
toddlyons

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Naturally I had to watch the new series. So fun! All of them were great, but I especially like how ep 3 illustrates how some thrown dice become stone and foliage (type, size, location). Very cool.
READ ME SOMEWHERE
Leave the present behind and escape to another place, another time, a different frame of mind.
CptClyde

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Yes I as well enjoy seeing the random terrain and dungeons come to life with the simple drop of the dice. Too bad our heroes didn't get to make much use of the terrain features generated as they were being torn apart by lions and fleeing for their lives lol.
That's low level OSR play gold right there!
toddlyons

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:01 pm

READ ME SOMEWHERE
Leave the present behind and escape to another place, another time, a different frame of mind.
Bumblepig

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:03 pm

CptClyde wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:55 pm Yes I as well enjoy seeing the random terrain and dungeons come to life with the simple drop of the dice. Too bad our heroes didn't get to make much use of the terrain features generated as they were being torn apart by lions and fleeing for their lives lol.
That's low level OSR play gold right there!
Whenever I'm dealing with low level adventurers in a wilderness setting, the question arises "how fast can one climb a tree?" I've never come up for a house rule on this, but probably should unless it's documented somewhere and I just missed it.
CptClyde

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Lol nice oneTodd yes Montey Python depicts low level play very well :P although I suspect the knights of the round table should have been much higher level.

Climing into a tree is a good idea maybe..... or maybe not. Wouldn't the most monsters just wait you out or climb up after you? lol Those lions would be good climber in this case I guess.
I think I had players try this once long ago in AD&D and it was ruled that the Thief could use his climb ability but the rest were just out of luck (especially the metal armoured fighters). Funny to imagine the brave heroes clinging to branches in fear.
AlMan

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:10 pm

CptClyde wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:35 pm Lol nice oneTodd yes Montey Python depicts low level play very well :P although I suspect the knights of the round table should have been much higher level.

Climing into a tree is a good idea maybe..... or maybe not. Wouldn't the most monsters just wait you out or climb up after you? lol Those lions would be good climber in this case I guess.
I think I had players try this once long ago in AD&D and it was ruled that the Thief could use his climb ability but the rest were just out of luck (especially the metal armoured fighters). Funny to imagine the brave heroes clinging to branches in fear.
Personally I would rule it as Thieves using climb ability and other classes using a Dexterity Ability Roll, see page 153 of the Basic Fantasy Core Rules. Then add modifiers for the various armors making it harder for someone wearing plate to easier for leather and easiest for magic types just wearing regular clothes. For myself I would take the AC - 11 and add that to the Target number. Don't forget to include the Dexterity Bonus/Penalty also.

This would be a house rule for me, take it or leave it, or change it as you want. You are the GM of your game.

Back to the document, what do you do with numbers above 5 for Cave features?
CptClyde

Post Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10 am

AlMan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:10 pm what do you do with numbers above 5 for Cave features?
Currently nothing is done (other than max die rolls being monsters) and those dice are ignored. It seems like a waste but not every cavern should be full i guess.