Hexcrawl procedures?

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
spielemusik

Re: Hexcrawl procedures?

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:51 am

I also love the drop dice mechanic.
spielemusik

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:07 am

And I forgot to ask, what size dice are you using in your videos? The smaller size seems ideal for the drop dice mechanic.
CptClyde

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:35 pm

Thank you for the kind words! Yes my motivation for creating these procedures was having small kids and work and no time to write adventures and get together with people (not to mention I live in rural Canada with no one nearby that even plays). This kind of game is perfect for playing with beginners I find. I hope this can work for you, I am delighted in my heart to hear about you playing with your kids. I love watching Brian Scalise videos of him playing with his family too. Wonderful.
So to answer your questions:
-I do not know if this will ever be officially "published" as I'm not sure it meets some criteria and standards of the BFRPG line of products. But I continue to use this for my own games and can certainly answer any questions.
-The smaller dice I use in the videos were indeed bought specifically for use as "drop dice" since they take up less space. They are called "Halfling haversack" and can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/Wiz-Dice-Halflin ... B07BWK7HVB

I wish I could find some time to run you through some hexcrawl adventures myself online sometime. In the coming months I will have more free time.
ALSO: If you wish to contribute to editing this document please feel free to post your changed version of the doc here and I can vet and upload. It is really great to get the perspective of new players on these rules so I can make the explanations easier to understand.
spielemusik

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Thanks for the link for the dice. Please keep me in mind when you do have time eventually to play. I'm looking forward to playing with other people. Especially in person when it's safe again. I've wanted to play rpgs since I was a kid in the 80s. I'm finally getting around to it now with my kids. I've played computer rpgs for years and am excited to get busy with some books, pencils, paper and dice and get lost in a world of adventure that's only limited by my imagination. The kids and I started Hero Kids about a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they picked up on role-playing and sharing the story. I wanted to put the time into learning a system we could grow into and continue playing as they get older. BFRPG hooked me with it's candid rules and flexibility. I'll be printing your hex adventure supplement for this weekend to play with my daughter. Hopefully my son will wanna join in the fun too.
CptClyde

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:40 pm

Well welcome to the hobby! I love hearing about people's experiences. please feel free to post your "after action report" here if you get to play this weekend. I'd love to hear a synopsis of what happened lol. Thanks for sharing and happy rolling!
delcidkidv

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:15 pm

I was thinking and it seems like it would be easy to digitize all the rolling done on pages 3 through 4. I’d be happy to do it but I don’t have any coding experience. I can’t seem to find any tutorials for making nested random tables based on user selected parameters either. But if someone knew of any easy tools to do it or like a python tutorial about random tables I’d love to get that digitized.
toddlyons

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:01 pm

Maybe it's generational or perhaps just personal preference, but I prefer more die rolling to less. But if anyone's inclined to create tools, sure, why not?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:29 pm

My Dungeoneer project has structures and procedures for random tables. It's kind of ugly, honestly, but it does do that.

https://github.com/Solomoriah/Dungeoneer
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
delcidkidv

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:36 pm

Thank you! I’ll give it a look and try to digitize the hex crawl when I get back to my PC.
CptClyde

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:43 pm

Very interesting idea, thank you for your efforts!