Hexcrawl procedures?

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: Hexcrawl procedures?

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:03 am

I'm putting version 15 in the first post.

Added the three log pages and cleaned up the formatting a bit. Also added Chisu and Kihu on proofing line. Kihu, welcome to the BFRPG Forums, please let us know how you want to be credited on the proofing line. For right now I included you as Kihu.

To fix what Kihu found I did the following.
Was:
While the players are determining a strategy. Beginning with two complete sets of dice (ignoring d%), …
Changed to:
While the players are determining a strategy, the GM may begin with two complete sets of dice (ignoring d%), …

I know that the last sentence of the same paragraph is “The location of the dice indicate the location and width of the terrain feature.” Might need a little more explanation but, it is a start.
greymark

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:54 am

For someone looking for a bit more direction on the mechanics of the "drop dice" process, you can watch his video (linked in first post) in which he demonstrates dropping the dice to create a scene.
Kihu

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:43 pm

greymark wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:54 am For someone looking for a bit more direction on the mechanics of the "drop dice" process, you can watch his video (linked in first post) in which he demonstrates dropping the dice to create a scene.
Thank you for mentioning this greymark. I just watched the video and it makes sense now. For anyone else wondering about the "drop dice/dice drop" mechanic, it is in video ep3 here.
CptClyde

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Welcome Kihu,
Thanks Alman for the update.
I am unsure how to explain further how to "drop dice". It's such a simple concept that it is maybe over analyzed. I created the videos in hopes of clarifying any such explanation short comings. Thanks guiding Kihu to the videos folks. All seems good here now.

Good luck with your hexcrawl adventures Kihu! And feel free to post your experiences back here.
greymark

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:09 pm

AlMan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:03 am

I know that the last sentence of the same paragraph is “The location of the dice indicate the location and width of the terrain feature.” Might need a little more explanation but, it is a start.
I would suggest there is a layout issue. "Generate Dungeons and Caves" does a much better job of describing the dice drop process. Maybe that section can be reworked to be broader and the "Here There Be Monsters" section can reference that section and Table 7.
Kihu

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:43 pm

CptClyde wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:39 pm Welcome Kihu,
Thanks Alman for the update.
I am unsure how to explain further how to "drop dice". It's such a simple concept that it is maybe over analyzed. I created the videos in hopes of clarifying any such explanation short comings.
Your right, the concept is very simple and made complete sense once I watched the video. Thank you for creating the videos, they are helping me learn BFRPG, which is also new to me.

There are probably others like me who will download Hexcrawl and be unfamiliar with the term or the mechanic and end up confused. I think greymark makes a good suggestion to consider altering the layout somehow. When I read it in this order it made more sense and flowed more naturally, to me at least. I also think Solomoria’s encouragement to provide an explanation for the mechanic would benefit new players. A “terms used in this book” type of thing, needn’t be heavy, it could be kind of fun:

Drop dice: This literally means to drop the indicated dice onto the tabletop and use the random location they come to rest as an approximation of the layout of your encounter map. The dice in your hand are terrain features such as as boulders, trees, and bushes and their number value is the size of that feature. That’s not a d4 your about to drop, it’s a tree the fighter is going to hide behind before ambushing that party of orcs!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and for sharing the wonderful things you’ve created!
Bumblepig

Post Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:09 am

Kihu wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:43 pm
Drop dice: This literally means to drop the indicated dice onto the tabletop and use the random location they come to rest as an approximation of the layout of your encounter map. The dice in your hand are terrain features such as as boulders, trees, and bushes and their number value is the size of that feature. That’s not a d4 your about to drop, it’s a tree the fighter is going to hide behind before ambushing that party of orcs!
That's a great explanation. I'd never heard the term before and that cleared it up.
CptClyde

Post Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Great explanation! Feel free to download the ODT version of the file, make your update, post it back here :)
I may get to it in a few days if no one else does.