Untitled BFRPG Audio Project

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
toddlyons

Untitled BFRPG Audio Project

Post by toddlyons »

Hi,

I recently watched a video on YouTube where a guy read the AD&D 1e DMG for 2 hours. As you'd expect, he hardly made a dent in it and the video itself wasn't action packed -- with that kind of text density, the pages rarely turned! :lol: But what I found most interesting was the positive response at adapting Gygaxian prose into an audio format.

I wondered if there's any interest in in doing anything similar with BFRPG content.

I did a quick test recording yesterday. It's unscripted, other than reading chapter 1. It's not exactly a podcast or an audio book because I wanted to (a) try both, and (b) get some opinions before actually releasing anything.

Thoughts? Interest in collaborating with me on this?

Thanks,
Todd
Last edited by toddlyons on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric42

Re: Untitled BFRPG Audio Project

Post by Eric42 »

Holy crap, your voice is perfect for such a project. I just listened to the whole thing and I loved it. I would at the very least be interested in listening to it and possibly even contributing at some point in the future though I have no way to do so right now. I hope you continue this or people can work with you to get this done. It would be excellent.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I agree. You have a wonderful recorded voice, very well suited for this... and very well recorded, better than some recorded books I have listened to. You should consider such readings professionally.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Eric42 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:58 am Holy crap, your voice is perfect for such a project. I just listened to the whole thing and I loved it.
Thank you. That's very kind of you to say. I'm not great at ad-lib but I've read enough scripts to get along alright. I'm just wondering whether to work scripted or unscripted, or both like this is.
Eric42 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:58 am I would at the very least be interested in listening to it.
Well that itself is useful know. It's a bit soul crushing when you produce something and the interest isn't there. I don't know what will come of this, but I'd appreciate whatever involvement people are able to offer, now or in the future.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

SmootRK wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:26 am You should consider such readings professionally.
Thanks! I was a radio announcer a long time ago, and later was a producer for some years. Presently, I do commercial and video voice-over work on a freelance basis part-time because my full-time job is pretty consuming.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't consider doing long-form work like this and I've shied away from doing audiobooks. I think it's a great market for someone starting out, but for the amount I charge per word now, no one will hire me to read 15,000. :lol: But for 30-60 seconds (50 to 100 words), no problem.

But, I do still enjoy voice work and am happy to read thousands of words for this project, time permitting. I appreciate what Chris has done here, but I'm also in awe of the massive expertise from all the contributors who've made BFRPG what it is. If I can give something back for all the joy these materials have given me, I'd love that.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Any thoughts on:
  • Title and Branding?
  • Cover art
  • Chat/personalized read-through vs formal audio book delivery
I'm not 100% clear on how I can use the game name, artwork, etc., in a way that doesn't violate any usage rights or suggest that this something officially sanctioned.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You could ask the guy who can officially sanction it.

Is this a money-making venture? That would put it outside our branding, I'm afraid. Otherwise, I can work with you to get you artwork, titles, etc.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

No, not for money. I have a great job. This would be purely for love. I've used open source for 20 years now and have released all the audio I've produced under Creative Commons, so I appreciate the value of a system where everyone contributes what they can to the collective.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Excellent! So tell me what you need, and we'll see what we can do.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Cool. :D I've done a second edit, with the content re-ordered and with music added.

1. Tell me what's wrong with it. What can I fix to make it of sufficient release quality?
2. This is an introduction plus Chapter 1. What's the series title?
3. It'll need cover art. Apple's preferred size is 3000x3000 px.
Last edited by toddlyons on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.