Rogue - Class Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
cailano

Re: Rogue - Class Supplement

Post by cailano »

teaman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:28 am
cailano wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:37 pm Hey, those are great! I'll work one in, I've got two separate versions of the class I'm going to post probably this weekend to collect some feedback on.
Thanks, I'd be glad to see him get a home. (He needs more direction and guidance in his life).
I've added this image to the 1.3 version of the class. I have it attributed to teaman right now. Would you prefer something else?
Last edited by cailano on Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
cailano

Post by cailano »

Hi all, I've added a couple of new versions of the Rogue. Version 1.3 is an updated version of the original. I've added an optional rule for advancing using a point system for the Rogue Abilities, similar to the option in the Core Rules. There are also improvements to the text, based on feedback received from the community.

I've also added an X.1 version. This is more experimental than the other, and it's based on feedback I've gotten in this forum. The X.1 Rogue has ten Rogue Abilities but an individual character can only choose seven. The new abilities include Use Poison, Use Scroll, and Decipher Script.

The 1.3 version also includes the illustration Teaman offered for use. Thanks, Teaman!

All versions of the class are attached to the first post in this thread.

Let me know what you think!
cailano

Post by cailano »

Attaching PDFs of versions 1.3 and X.1.
Attachments
BF-Rogue-Supplement-vX.1.pdf
(102.14 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
BF-Rogue-Supplement-v1.3.pdf
(292.68 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

cailano wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:22 am Attaching PDFs of versions 1.3 and X.1.
I think these new versions do a good job of succinctly incorporating much of the feedback you were getting. I'm a minimalist when it comes to classes, so the "Powered up Thief" version (1.3) suits me just fine.
But I can appreciate how you tried to incorporate some new skills and customization in the X.1 version. I could see some players and GMs really preferring that. The areas that might need more work are around those new skills.
Decipher Script as a poor-Man's read languages is a pretty good skill for the archetypal adventurer to have. It would be fun to also have disastrous results for a severe mistranslation in this area, but not sure that has to be spelled out.
The Use Scroll ability doesn't necessarily scream "Rogue" to me... couldn't anyone--regardless of class-- have an similar incomplete training in arcane magic? But I can see what this would be a popular option.
The Use Poisons skill is probably too vague. Is the roll applicable to being able to create poisons (e.g., from ingredients or harvesting them from poisonous creatures)? Or is the check reflect successfully applying an effective dose to a weapon? Or is does it mean you successfully slip something into someone's food or drink? All of the above? I don't think you should make Poisons any more complicated than the other skills, so you'd just have to settle on a simple explanation of what that Poison Check means (or frame it in a way that indicates how the GM might need to adjudicate).

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents. It's all good stuff, and personally I'm happy to provide 1.3 as an option to my players right now.

Also....Teaman's Rogue drawing is perfect.
daryen

Post by daryen »

In response to Bumblepig ...

Decipher: Honestly, what happens if they fail is just a GM's decision. I would mention that if they fail "normally" they can't figure it out, but if they fail badly enough (and "badly enough" is GM's decision) they think they figured it out, but got it disastrously wrong. This was a standard ability in 1e.

Scrolls: This was an ability gained by 1e Thieves. At a certain level they could read arcane scrolls. (Obviously, in 3e+ this became the Use Magic Item skill.) But it was in 1e (if not Basic).

Poison: Historically (and I'd have to go read to see what BFRPG does) anyone could use poison, when allowed by the GM. But only those trained in its use wouldn't be at risk for poisoning themselves when trying to use it. That's where this probably came from.
teaman

Post by teaman »

cailano wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:20 pm
cailano wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:37 pm Hey, those are great! I'll work one in, I've got two separate versions of the class I'm going to post probably this weekend to collect some feedback on.
Thanks, I'd be glad to see him get a home. (He needs more direction and guidance in his life).
I've added this image to the 1.3 version of the class. I have it attributed to teaman right now. Would you prefer something else?
Thanks so much. My art credit is usually "John Fredericks"

Thanks again!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
teaman

Post by teaman »

Bumblepig wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 pm
cailano wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:22 am Attaching PDFs of versions 1.3 and X.1.
I think these new versions do a good job of succinctly incorporating much of the feedback you were getting. I'm a minimalist when it comes to classes, so the "Powered up Thief" version (1.3) suits me just fine.
But I can appreciate how you tried to incorporate some new skills and customization in the X.1 version. I could see some players and GMs really preferring that. The areas that might need more work are around those new skills.
Decipher Script as a poor-Man's read languages is a pretty good skill for the archetypal adventurer to have. It would be fun to also have disastrous results for a severe mistranslation in this area, but not sure that has to be spelled out.
The Use Scroll ability doesn't necessarily scream "Rogue" to me... couldn't anyone--regardless of class-- have an similar incomplete training in arcane magic? But I can see what this would be a popular option.
The Use Poisons skill is probably too vague. Is the roll applicable to being able to create poisons (e.g., from ingredients or harvesting them from poisonous creatures)? Or is the check reflect successfully applying an effective dose to a weapon? Or is does it mean you successfully slip something into someone's food or drink? All of the above? I don't think you should make Poisons any more complicated than the other skills, so you'd just have to settle on a simple explanation of what that Poison Check means (or frame it in a way that indicates how the GM might need to adjudicate).

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents. It's all good stuff, and personally I'm happy to provide 1.3 as an option to my players right now.

Thank you Bumblepig!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
cailano

Post by cailano »

Bumblepig wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 pm
... personally I'm happy to provide 1.3 as an option to my players right now.

I'm a bit of a minimalist myself, so I'm pretty happy with version 1.3, as well. I put the X-1 version out for those who said they wanted more options.
cailano

Post by cailano »

teaman wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm
cailano wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:20 pm

Thanks so much. My art credit is usually "John Fredericks"

Thanks again!
I'll be sure to update the final version. Thanks again!
cailano

Post by cailano »

daryen wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:46 pm In response to Bumblepig ...

Decipher: Honestly, what happens if they fail is just a GM's decision. I would mention that if they fail "normally" they can't figure it out, but if they fail badly enough (and "badly enough" is GM's decision) they think they figured it out, but got it disastrously wrong. This was a standard ability in 1e.

Scrolls: This was an ability gained by 1e Thieves. At a certain level they could read arcane scrolls. (Obviously, in 3e+ this became the Use Magic Item skill.) But it was in 1e (if not Basic).

Poison: Historically (and I'd have to go read to see what BFRPG does) anyone could use poison, when allowed by the GM. But only those trained in its use wouldn't be at risk for poisoning themselves when trying to use it. That's where this probably came from.
Congrats, you rolled a 20 on your Intelligence check for gaming history! You're right on all counts, I just kind of threw the whole dice bag at the X-1 version. I like the 1.3 version better, myself, but since a few people asked for more options...