Croaker (Frog-men)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
daryen

Re: Croaker (Frog-men)

Post by daryen »

If you don't mind, I'll offer what I was told on something. Just keep in mind I'm a newbie.

You shouldn't put updates in the last post. Instead you should update the first post with the latest file.

Also, each upload should have an explicit rev number. So, the monster entry should be rev 1 or 2 (depending on whether you started with 0 or 1, and the race should be 2 or 3.

Again, this isn't a correction or anything, just me relaying what I have learned.
Muze

Post by Muze »

Thanks for the tip... I'm also still learning how this all works
Ironwolf

Post by Ironwolf »

I don't like monsters as PCs. But I love Bullywugs. They are probably my favorite D&D monster.

Basic Fantasy already has the Wug in the Basic Fantasy Field Guide, but the more frog men, the better! And I love the name "Croaker". :mrgreen:
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Revision numbers are important. I want to know at a glance if the file you uploaded is the one I already looked at or not.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
teaman

Post by teaman »

Here's the color version too. Might be useful for the preview.
frogman.png
frogman.png (6.43 MiB) Viewed 4049 times
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Muze

Post by Muze »

cleaned up the monster entry.
Finley

Post by Finley »

I took a pass at cleaning up, condensing, and balancing the PC version. This is my first attempt at pitching in, so be gentle :D

Since it isn't my project, I'm not married to any of my proposed changes, but I do think that my suggestions simplify things and bring the Croaker more in line power-wise with other player races. If there is anything I did wrong in terms of formatting, labeling/naming, etc please let me know, so I can improve.

One of my nephews is very grateful to find a Frog-Man for BFRPG, so thanks for writing this!
Croakers (PC) R4.odt
(3.63 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey Finely,

cool design there. I would maybe expand on the whole tongue weapon? For example, the Croaker could be given the ability to restrict the target with their tongue, in exchange for movement or such.

I would even up the + for the poison to +4, and make it include Save VS Death too, as frogs seem to be the type of creatures that would get out of scary situations with their leaping and hopping.

:)
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Finley

Post by Finley »

If anything, I think it is probably still slightly too complex. Don't get me wrong- all of the things you suggest are cool, and the stuff i pared away from Muze's original in my proposed edit were cool too. My personal philosophy, however, is that the game is called Basic Fantasy for a reason- it is important to keep things simple. To me, simplicity means reducing the number of conditional abilities, keeping the power level of a race within the same order of magnitude as the other, more commonly used ones, and focusing on the essence of what makes it unique. In the case of a frog man, the core thing we think of with a frog is jumping, that's universal, so that was the core powerful thing I left in. The darting tongue as a natural weapon is kind of a wash, because it doesn't do a lot of damage but it has reach. Getting into making it sticky or poisonous or entangling or any of those other things likely becomes conditional one way or another. Also, there has to be a balance between coolness and power level, because you want DMs to allow use of the race at the table. If it is OP it won't be allowed, and all of the work is for nought.

Of course, this is Muze's baby, and they may completely disagree with me, as is their right.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

For sure, you make a good point.

+4 on Poison and Death ain't complex though, so I'd still add that!
Creativity is just a single letter away.