Swashbucklers Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Syron

Swashbucklers Supplement

Post by Syron »

Alright, so here's the second supplement that I came up with. This is a Swashbuckler as a subclass of Thief.
Attachments
BFRPG-swashbuckler-supplement-r4.pdf
(266.24 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
BFRPG-swashbuckler-supplement-r4.odt
(28.73 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Last edited by Syron on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dimirag

Re: Swashbucklers Supplement

Post by Dimirag »

The "by Syron" right below the title should be removed or replace by a "A Thief Subclass"
"If a Swashbuckler uses any other weapons or a shield, he or she can’t use any of his or her special abilities as those abilities require both a free hand a good balance" should be "and good balance"
Its thieving skill values should be lesser than those of a thief of equal level despite the XP difference
Considering the class has a base +0 in dex its piercing attack seems to poor for its requisite
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Syron

Post by Syron »

Alright, so I've made corrections to the typos. I've also looked at other subclasses and am currently going with a reduction of 5 for Open Locks, Remove Traps, Climb Walls, and Listen.

Now on Piercing Strike, its bonus to damage is from the Dexterity Score (not modifier), this means a minimum of a +9 bonus to damage rolls and a (usually unlikely) maximum of +18, if the requirements are met. This may be an issue because it is unusual and easily misread. I'm thinking of replacing the mechanic with a flat bonus to damage with one-handed melee weapons unrelated to Dexterity.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Oh, the attribute score makes more sense, but yes, I think it could be easily mixed, a flat bonus or multiplier goes more with game rules I think.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Syron

Post by Syron »

A few more revisions were made after looking some more at other examples. Charisma requirement was reduced to 11. A note was added that Distract and Enthrall may have additional effects at the GM's discretion. Distract's bonus to attack and damage was changed to a flat +2. Piercing Strike was replaced by a gradually growing bonus to damage with one-handed weapons.

I think that it should largely be in line with the average supplement now.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Syron, I have re-attached your supplement with a release number added on (r3 as you made 2 revisions so far). Please remember to include and increment that number with any additional revisions, thanks!
Seven

Post by Seven »

Is the racial adjustment for enthralling only applicable to humans?
I'm not sure why an elf would have a bonus against an orc or why a demi-orc would be penalized against an other demi-orc.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Out of curiosity, why do you hate dwarfs? Why are they the only ones who cannot swash buckles? If gnomes, of all peoples, and half-orcs can swash buckles, why can dwarfs not?

Seems rather prejudicial ...

OK, that was all written tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, why single out dwarfs?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Dwarf are usually all guts and strength rather than finesse.
Although, we do have dwarven thieves.

Yeah, I don't see why a dwarf couldn't do it, but it would probably look a bit different.
I don't follow dwarven fashion very closely. Maybe fewer feathers, more bells?
Syron

Post by Syron »

Dwarves aren't on the list because of the restriction on Charisma. Otherwise, I would have put them on. I felt that Charisma was a fundamental factor in being a Swashbuckler.

The racial adjustments on Enthralling are not taking the target's race into account. I am leaving it to the GM to determine inter-racial reaction bonuses or penalties as makes sense for the setting and individuals involved. Perhaps I should have added a sentence or two to clarify that. What is on the racial adjustments is largely intended to work with the Thief Options Supplement for those interested, and not something I personally have much attachment to keeping. As for what I choose on them, I started with the idea of Elves are connected to fey creatures, fey creatures are prone to charm effects, I'll give Elves the primary Enthrall bonus. From there I went down a list of possible bonuses and penalties.

I'm open to changing these things, as they aren't the core of the concept I want to put forward.