Monk Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
daryen

Re: Monk Supplement

Post by daryen »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:54 pm Having a lesser XP cost means they will fight better than fighters do over time.
Yeah, I should probably make their XP progression harder. I'll do that. Probably crank them straight up to Magic-User level or something. I dunno, is Paladin harder? I'll have to check. I don't want to make up something new, though, I want to take from something that already exists.
Why the thieving skills? I'm asking from a class motive, it should be explained in the class why they can do that.
I would ditch open locks and make a note that they can find traps but not disarm them.
Despite the XP difference a monk of equal level should have less chances of doing what a thief can do.
Why thieving skills? Because all of my sources had it to some extent? Anyway, I'll probably completely ditch open locks and detect/remove traps entirely. Not monk-ish enough. I want to keep the other four, though.
No weapon limits + increased unarmed damage + flurry of blows its to much compared to the fighters single attack. (A fighter's weapon specialization should be use to give a fighter something extra against other classes and not vice versa)
I didn't want to limit weapons because the damage range for weapons in BF is pretty tight, so it just doesn't really matter. I'll make sure it says the GM should feel free to limit as desired. Flurry of blows is there because it is always there. I can delay the start, though, to make it more fair. But you do have a point on that. (And do note that I knocked down the unarmed damage lower than anything I found.)
For the damage and AC progression I would use something more like the attack bonus progressions that after level 9 it becomes slower, but that's just me
I am thinking of both moving both at 5 level increments instead of 4 level increments. Not sure yet on that.
I always find odd monks walking almost as fast as a running horse.
Yeah, well, that's just being a monk. Those buggers are *super* fast. That's true of every single version I could find.
The amount of Ki powers plus what they do need an overall balance they feel to Feat like. They should have a limited use like a Ki pool or once per day (choosing the same power gives an extra use), requiring a % roll, etc.
Some of them already are. I'll think about the others, but some are just *there*. You're either immune to disease or you're not. I could make it a self-cure once per day or something, though. That'd tone it *way* down for some of them.

Any typos mentioned are being dealt with.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

In my Quasi-Classes Supplement resides the bare bones of a Monk offering, albeit substantially different than a base class "monk".

Maybe helpful, maybe not. Feel free to pilfer for ideas to flesh out your Monk
https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=51
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Yeah, I should probably make their XP progression harder. I'll do that. Probably crank them straight up to Magic-User level or something. I dunno, is Paladin harder? I'll have to check. I don't want to make up something new, though, I want to take from something that already exists.
Ranger or Paladin XP could do it, its almost half way between fighter and magic user
Why thieving skills? Because all of my sources had it to some extent?
Feel free to brake free from the source, give it your own spin, it will make your classes stand more on their own.
IIRC the monk was based on some character from some book, and all their skills where passed into the class. Its ok if you want to keep the tradition, but giving them some in-game rationale its always a plus, it make such skill more their earned right than an outside heritage.
I didn't want to limit weapons because the damage range for weapons in BF is pretty tight, so it just doesn't really matter. I'll make sure it says the GM should feel free to limit as desired. Flurry of blows is there because it is always there. I can delay the start, though, to make it more fair. But you do have a point on that. (And do note that I knocked down the unarmed damage lower than anything I found.)
Weapons should be limited if it fits with the concept, or for balancing reasons, its ok for them to use any weapon, an option its to create a "monastery's weapons" limit, so each monk can use a fixed number of weapons (with those weapons being set by the monk's training pace), you can let them know a set number plus other weapons by level, whatever feel right.
Considering that the core fighter gets one attack whose damage does not increase unless the weapon its magical having all the benefits on the monk's side feel to much, maybe going one way or the other could work, they get one devastating attack or several low damaging ones.
For this I would give a flat bonus at some level and let them run at triple speed at a high enough level.
Some of them already are. I'll think about the others, but some are just *there*. You're either immune to disease or you're not. I could make it a self-cure once per day or something, though. That'd tone it *way* down for some of them.
Disease immunity, being able to reduce or negate damage, among other are powerful abilities that should be balanced in itself because not every monk will choose them, unless, their are always in effect and bring such benefits...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

Updated the file in the first post to be r1. It has several changes based on the discussion. Many more ki powers are now use-limited. The flurry of blows was pushed back five levels. A couple more ki powers were added to give more choices.
Seven

Post by Seven »

One of the effect of weapon restriction is to limit access to magic weapons.
You can have a weapon that does the same damage as a sword, but it's going to be much harder to find magic versions of that weapon than to find any magic sword.
daryen

Post by daryen »

I did a bunch of edits to make it more in line with the Style Guide (though I am sure I missed some things) and cleaned up some of the wording, and slowed down the movement rate bonus a little. It is now r2 and I added it to the Showcase page.

Quick question: How do I link the new Showcase entry back to this discussion? I don't see an entry for that.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

when creating or editing a Workshop content, on the "topic" box put the numbers after the "=" on the browser address when you enter the topic in question, in this case 3897 is the number you are looking for.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

Found it! Thanks!

Now the thread is linked correctly.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Added the showcase link to the first post.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Thanks for the help guys. It should go smoother for the Sorcerer. I hope.