Monk Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
daryen

Monk Supplement

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:34 pm

While dealing with all of these spell casters, something else has been rattling around in the back of my head, and I think it is developed well enough to show it now. I have given it a version of "0" because I still expect to add a magic item section for some monk-only items, but I want to get this out now to get some feedback on it.

Behold! The MONK!!

(Now on the Showcase page.)
Last edited by daryen on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
daryen

Re: Monk Supplement

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Some notes ...

I took this from multiple versions of the game. The application of the Ki powers came from the Bard class song feature (though it works differently). I gave them d6 hit dice so they aren't full fighters, but they don't completely suck, either. The do hit like fighters, though.

I hope the AC bonus and unarmed strike progressions fit in with BFRPG. I intentionally toned down the unarmed damage to fit a bit better. I also toned down the flurry of blows, too, but they can still dish out multiple attacks per round even at first level.

The ki powers are intended to have more than can be taken so that each monk can be different. I do plan on making a handful more powers (if I can) just to accentuate those differences. You have to pick what kind of monk you want to be.

Also, I figure that monks are more of an AD&D thing than a BD&D thing, but I thought they would be cool to add, and, honestly, am kinda surprised no one has done so already.
Dimirag

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Check this thread, it contains other threads dealing with monks and similar
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:10 pm

Huh. Guess I didn't dig far enough.

Oh, well! Never mind, then. Mods can delete the thread at their leisure.

On the other hand, it does things a bit differently, sticking to the old sources while also NOT making it a subclass of Fighter. And without imposing a strict backstory. So, keep or delete as makes most sense.
Dimirag

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:19 pm

I would change its name and some features and presto! new class unlocked. Maybe going more into the mystic realm (less fighting, more meditation, mind over body and related powers)
daryen

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 pm

I dunno. At this point it is super redundant, though does seem to take a slightly different tack than the others.

Even so, the mods can delete the whole thing if they want. My fault for not digging further.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Multiple versions of a class are welcome in the Workshop, and even in the Showcase.

BTW I think you've more than qualified for a Showcase account, so now you have one.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:52 am

To explain things a little more for this approach, typically a monk (or similar character) is designed to get a predetermined set of abilities on a set schedule. I didn't want that. Instead, I took inspiration from both the BFRPG Bard class and the Patherfind Unchained Monk to instead give them a set schedule for gaining abilities and a pool of abilities that they cannot get all of. So, this Monk only automatically gains a small set of abilities (unarmed combat, flurry of blows, increasing AC, and fast movement). Everything else must be chosen as they gain levels.

Also, for power-scale, the Monk is NOT intended to scale with Fighters. They are intended to be a pseudo-magic class that scales with spellcasters, instead. They have a higher floor and lower ceiling than Magic-Users, but they should still be in that same scale. And as long as you give fighters specializations, they probably shouldn't outstrip fighters too much as time goes on.

That said, if there are tweaks needed, I'll gladly make them. I do think the approach is sound, though, and provides the ability to create a fairly diverse set of characters with a single class.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:15 pm

Classes need to work independent of Combat Options, and vice versa.

Other than that, carry on!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:54 pm

Ok, lets go item by item

Having a lesser XP cost means they will fight better than fighters do over time.
"They may only use any weapon" should be "They may use any weapon."
Why the thieving skills? I'm asking from a class motive, it should be explained in the class why they can do that.
I would ditch open locks and make a note that they can find traps but not disarm them.
Despite the XP difference a monk of equal level should have less chances of doing what a thief can do.
No weapon limits + increased unarmed damage + flurry of blows its to much compared to the fighters single attack. (A fighter's weapon specialization should be use to give a fighter something extra against other classes and not vice versa)
For the damage and AC progression I would use something more like the attack bonus progressions that after level 9 it becomes slower, but that's just me
I always find odd monks walking almost as fast as a running horse.
Ki powers should be in alphabetical order.
The amount of Ki powers plus what they do need an overall balance they feel to Feat like. They should have a limited use like a Ki pool or once per day (choosing the same power gives an extra use), requiring a % roll, etc.