Shadows of the Undercity

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: Shadows of the Undercity

Post by AlMan »

Seven wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:18 pm
AlMan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 pm
Page 6 – 11a. Tower Ground Level – Boxed Text Paragraph 2
Was:
Leaning against the wall beside him is an unsheathed greatsword.
Changed to:
Leaning against the wall beside him is an unsheathed great sword.

Added my name as Proofreader to Page 1.
I suppose there are no consensus on this, but as we use longsword and shortsword, I personally much prefer greatsword. It does contrast with axes where we use hand axe, battle axe and great axe.
As I was editing this document this was the only time that greatsword was used. The other mentions in the rest of the original document were great sword (NPC section, and later in the same paragraph and room). I basically changed it to match the four other instances of the words in the document. I have to take my queues from the Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules book 3rd Edition, also the Basic Fantasy Field Guides and Equipment Emporium in that order. In all actuality all the "great sword" entries should be converted to "two-handed sword" since there isn't a great sword listed in the Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules or the Equipment Emporium, and I will do it in my next editing pass after Solo fills in more of the boxed text.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, good point. I prefer greatsword as one word also.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'll update the Style Guide soon to specify this. So to double-check: greatsword, longsword, and shortword are preferred, but for axes it's two separate words?
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Just to clarify, there isn't a "Greatsword" or "Great Sword" listed in the Core Rules or the Equipment Emporium.
Seven

Post by Seven »

AlMan wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 pm Just to clarify, there isn't a "Greatsword" or "Great Sword" listed in the Core Rules or the Equipment Emporium.
Yeah, it's pure aesthetics that only DMs appreciate.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

True, as it's listed in the Core Rules how it should be, no need to repeat that in the Style Guide.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Honestly, this is something I'd prefer not to bother standardizing. Authors need a little leeway, even when they are the author of the game...
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

All good, completely agree 8-) Edited thread title to note its eventual inclusion in AA4.
Seven

Re: [AA3] Shadows of the Undercity

Post by Seven »

Should there be a secret door in the passage from room 3 to room 16?

It seems to me the adventurers could end up in the secret smuggler cavern almost immediately, simply by going straight. I'm not sure if that's the intent.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: [AA3] Shadows of the Undercity

Post by Solomoriah »

No, it's correct as is. Adventurers rarely find their way directly there, in my experience; they're like cats.