The rules were modified to reflect late 15th century Europe; the end of the late middle ages.
Modifications with material impact:
- Hobbits/Halflings are omitted, as they are not part of European folklore
- Units of measurement, equipment prices and the money system were modified to reflect 15th century society and economics
- The Reincarnate spell was modified to reflect folklore at the time
Modifications with only cosmetic effect:
- Saving throw tables are listed with each Class description
- Spells have been given three names: Latin for the gaming experience (Latin was used by clergy and scholars at the time), Dutch as a summary for the player, and English for the GM (who still has to rely on the English book for parts 6 and onwards).
- Spells are designated as "White magic" and "Black magic" allowing the GM to reflect social acceptance of the spell.
The modifications were inspired by the 1992 CRPG Darklands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darklands_(video_game)