Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seppo

Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Post by Seppo »

Hi everyone! So I've started a project to translate BFRPG stuff into Finnish. Currently I have an almost-finished translation of the Beginner's Essentials, but I thought I'd ask a couple of rules-related questions before I submit anything.

Page 1: Intelligence is "Maybe useful for remembering spells & research." I couldn't find any confirmation for this in the magic rules; is this legit or just a remnant from an earlier rules version?

Page 2: Dwarves can "Detect new construction, shifting walls, slanting passages, traps w/ 1-2 on d6." However, page 37 of the Core Rules mentions "the stonework trap-finding ability of Dwarves." I guess it's OK if I mention the stonework part here, too (even though page 5 of the Core Rules, again, only talks about "traps")?

Page 2: Those "slanting passages" the Dwarf entry mentions – I'm guessing "slant" can mean here both "veer left/right" and "slope up/down" like in this old map: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/1 ... e_dungeon/ Am I correct?

Page 2: Halflings have a "10% chance to be detected outdoors," even though in the Core Rules it says, "Outdoors in their preferred forest terrain, they are able to hide very effectively; so long as they remain still there is only a 10% chance they will be detected." Core Rules takes precedence, right?

Page 2: Elves can "Detect secret doors (1-2 on 1d6; 1 on 1d6 with a cursory look)." Just to be clear, is this the usual "Elves can detect secret doors just by walking past them" rule?

Page 5: "A character using a weapon with a long reach (spears, for instance) may choose to attack a closing opponent on the closing opponent's number and thus attack simultaneously with the opponent, even if the attacker rolled lower for Initiative." The attacker here is the one with the reach weapon, right?

Page 7: "Alternately, the character may begin backing away (at up to half normal walking movement) while continuing to fight (if the opponent remains within reach, that is, follows the retreating character)." "Alternately" here contains the notion "if the character wants to avoid any parting shots", right?

Page 8: "With the exception of grenade-like missiles, missile weapons which miss the intended target are normally considered lost." Is this a reference to weapon breakage rules (though it feels kind of harsh if a four-gp Hand Axe is a one-and-done weapon)? Or does it just mean that the attack doesn't cause any damage to anyone? Or that the missile lands so far away that it can't be used again during that particular battle?

Page 10: "The disc floats level to the ground, at about the height of the caster's waist." Does this mean that when the caster walks up a steep slope, the disc tilts accordingly, or does the disc always stay parallel to "sea level"? I've always been curious about this one.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Post by Solomoriah »

Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 1: Intelligence is "Maybe useful for remembering spells & research." I couldn't find any confirmation for this in the magic rules; is this legit or just a remnant from an earlier rules version?
No idea where this came from, actually.
Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 2: Dwarves can "Detect new construction, shifting walls, slanting passages, traps w/ 1-2 on d6." However, page 37 of the Core Rules mentions "the stonework trap-finding ability of Dwarves." I guess it's OK if I mention the stonework part here, too (even though page 5 of the Core Rules, again, only talks about "traps")?
Making it more like the Core Rules would be good.
Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 2: Those "slanting passages" the Dwarf entry mentions – I'm guessing "slant" can mean here both "veer left/right" and "slope up/down" like in this old map: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/1 ... e_dungeon/ Am I correct?
Yes.
Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 2: Halflings have a "10% chance to be detected outdoors," even though in the Core Rules it says, "Outdoors in their preferred forest terrain, they are able to hide very effectively; so long as they remain still there is only a 10% chance they will be detected." Core Rules takes precedence, right?
Yes.
Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 2: Elves can "Detect secret doors (1-2 on 1d6; 1 on 1d6 with a cursory look)." Just to be clear, is this the usual "Elves can detect secret doors just by walking past them" rule?
Yes.
Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 5: "A character using a weapon with a long reach (spears, for instance) may choose to attack a closing opponent on the closing opponent's number and thus attack simultaneously with the opponent, even if the attacker rolled lower for Initiative." The attacker here is the one with the reach weapon, right?
Yes.
Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 7: "Alternately, the character may begin backing away (at up to half normal walking movement) while continuing to fight (if the opponent remains within reach, that is, follows the retreating character)." "Alternately" here contains the notion "if the character wants to avoid any parting shots", right?
Yes.
Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 8: "With the exception of grenade-like missiles, missile weapons which miss the intended target are normally considered lost." Is this a reference to weapon breakage rules (though it feels kind of harsh if a four-gp Hand Axe is a one-and-done weapon)? Or does it just mean that the attack doesn't cause any damage to anyone? Or that the missile lands so far away that it can't be used again during that particular battle?
The second part: The attack doesn't hurt anyone. However, there is a rule about shooting into a melee that is relevant.
Seppo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 amPage 10: "The disc floats level to the ground, at about the height of the caster's waist." Does this mean that when the caster walks up a steep slope, the disc tilts accordingly, or does the disc always stay parallel to "sea level"? I've always been curious about this one.
This is left to the individual GM. Personally, I rule the latter. Your book should not comment on this.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Thanks, Solomoriah! I'll delete the spells & research mention and add the stonework bit, then.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

A quick question on Attacking a Vehicle (Core Rules p. 52). The rule states:

"If the vehicle takes damage equal to or greater than the listed HP on one side, it is reduced to half speed due to wheel damage or a hull breach; if it takes this much again, it is immobilized, and this much damage will sink a ship."

My non-native mind interprets this so that when a ship with 75 HP takes 149 points of damage on the port side and 149 points on the starboard side, it still sails on, albeit with half speed.

Or is the implication here that the 75 hit points are distributed evenly to the two sides, with either side able to withstand 37 points of damage before the ship's speed is halved?
Last edited by Seppo on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Another question, this time on Repairing a Vehicle:

"Damage done to a vehicle may be restored at a rate of 1d4 hit points per crew member per hour of labor. However, a vehicle can only be restored to 90% of its maximum hit points by field repairs; a damaged ship must be put into drydock and repaired by a shipwright and his crew, while a wagon, cart or chariot will require a wagonmaker to repair them. Costs of such repairs are left to the Game Master to decide."

Does this mean that when a vehicle loses only 5% of its total hit points, no field repairs can be done on it at all? Or should the rule be interpreted as, "Only 90% of the damage sustained by a vehicle can be restored by field repairs"?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Interesting question. Personally, I'd leave it up to the GM to decide... which is probably what I was doing when I wrote it that way.

The translation should be vague in the same way, for consistency.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Do you mean the first or the second question, or both? (I posted two messages today.)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. My reply was to your second question.

Regarding the first, neither interpretation is correct. A ship damaged beyond its HP on one side is reduced to half speed; do this to both sides, and it's immobilized (and if it's a ship, it sinks). Or double up one side, and the same thing happens.

As before, please give it as literal a translation as possible, keeping the above in mind.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:49 am Ack. My reply was to your second question.

Regarding the first, neither interpretation is correct. A ship damaged beyond its HP on one side is reduced to half speed; do this to both sides, and it's immobilized (and if it's a ship, it sinks). Or double up one side, and the same thing happens.

As before, please give it as literal a translation as possible, keeping the above in mind.
OK. So you mean a 75-HP ship can take 149 points of damage on one side (or 75 points on one side and 74 on the other, or any combination totaling 149) and still keep sailing at half speed? And the 150th point, sustained by either side, sinks the ship?

Or can the ship take 149 points of damage on one side and 74 on the other and still stay afloat?

My little brain hurts! :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Seppo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:02 pm
Solomoriah wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:49 am Ack. My reply was to your second question.

OK. So you mean a 75-HP ship can take 149 points of damage on one side (or 75 points on one side and 74 on the other, or any combination totaling 149) and still keep sailing at half speed? And the 150th point, sustained by either side, sinks the ship?

Or can the ship take 149 points of damage on one side and 74 on the other and still stay afloat?

My little brain hurts! :)
That last bit is correct.