Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seppo

Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Post Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 am

Hi everyone! So I've started a project to translate BFRPG stuff into Finnish. Currently I have an almost-finished translation of the Beginner's Essentials, but I thought I'd ask a couple of rules-related questions before I submit anything.

Page 1: Intelligence is "Maybe useful for remembering spells & research." I couldn't find any confirmation for this in the magic rules; is this legit or just a remnant from an earlier rules version?

Page 2: Dwarves can "Detect new construction, shifting walls, slanting passages, traps w/ 1-2 on d6." However, page 37 of the Core Rules mentions "the stonework trap-finding ability of Dwarves." I guess it's OK if I mention the stonework part here, too (even though page 5 of the Core Rules, again, only talks about "traps")?

Page 2: Those "slanting passages" the Dwarf entry mentions – I'm guessing "slant" can mean here both "veer left/right" and "slope up/down" like in this old map: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/1 ... e_dungeon/ Am I correct?

Page 2: Halflings have a "10% chance to be detected outdoors," even though in the Core Rules it says, "Outdoors in their preferred forest terrain, they are able to hide very effectively; so long as they remain still there is only a 10% chance they will be detected." Core Rules takes precedence, right?

Page 2: Elves can "Detect secret doors (1-2 on 1d6; 1 on 1d6 with a cursory look)." Just to be clear, is this the usual "Elves can detect secret doors just by walking past them" rule?

Page 5: "A character using a weapon with a long reach (spears, for instance) may choose to attack a closing opponent on the closing opponent's number and thus attack simultaneously with the opponent, even if the attacker rolled lower for Initiative." The attacker here is the one with the reach weapon, right?

Page 7: "Alternately, the character may begin backing away (at up to half normal walking movement) while continuing to fight (if the opponent remains within reach, that is, follows the retreating character)." "Alternately" here contains the notion "if the character wants to avoid any parting shots", right?

Page 8: "With the exception of grenade-like missiles, missile weapons which miss the intended target are normally considered lost." Is this a reference to weapon breakage rules (though it feels kind of harsh if a four-gp Hand Axe is a one-and-done weapon)? Or does it just mean that the attack doesn't cause any damage to anyone? Or that the missile lands so far away that it can't be used again during that particular battle?

Page 10: "The disc floats level to the ground, at about the height of the caster's waist." Does this mean that when the caster walks up a steep slope, the disc tilts accordingly, or does the disc always stay parallel to "sea level"? I've always been curious about this one.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Post Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 pm

Seppo wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 am
Page 1: Intelligence is "Maybe useful for remembering spells & research." I couldn't find any confirmation for this in the magic rules; is this legit or just a remnant from an earlier rules version?
No idea where this came from, actually.
Seppo wrote:
Page 2: Dwarves can "Detect new construction, shifting walls, slanting passages, traps w/ 1-2 on d6." However, page 37 of the Core Rules mentions "the stonework trap-finding ability of Dwarves." I guess it's OK if I mention the stonework part here, too (even though page 5 of the Core Rules, again, only talks about "traps")?
Making it more like the Core Rules would be good.
Seppo wrote:
Page 2: Those "slanting passages" the Dwarf entry mentions – I'm guessing "slant" can mean here both "veer left/right" and "slope up/down" like in this old map: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/1 ... e_dungeon/ Am I correct?
Yes.
Seppo wrote:
Page 2: Halflings have a "10% chance to be detected outdoors," even though in the Core Rules it says, "Outdoors in their preferred forest terrain, they are able to hide very effectively; so long as they remain still there is only a 10% chance they will be detected." Core Rules takes precedence, right?
Yes.
Seppo wrote:
Page 2: Elves can "Detect secret doors (1-2 on 1d6; 1 on 1d6 with a cursory look)." Just to be clear, is this the usual "Elves can detect secret doors just by walking past them" rule?
Yes.
Seppo wrote:
Page 5: "A character using a weapon with a long reach (spears, for instance) may choose to attack a closing opponent on the closing opponent's number and thus attack simultaneously with the opponent, even if the attacker rolled lower for Initiative." The attacker here is the one with the reach weapon, right?
Yes.
Seppo wrote:
Page 7: "Alternately, the character may begin backing away (at up to half normal walking movement) while continuing to fight (if the opponent remains within reach, that is, follows the retreating character)." "Alternately" here contains the notion "if the character wants to avoid any parting shots", right?
Yes.
Seppo wrote:
Page 8: "With the exception of grenade-like missiles, missile weapons which miss the intended target are normally considered lost." Is this a reference to weapon breakage rules (though it feels kind of harsh if a four-gp Hand Axe is a one-and-done weapon)? Or does it just mean that the attack doesn't cause any damage to anyone? Or that the missile lands so far away that it can't be used again during that particular battle?
The second part: The attack doesn't hurt anyone. However, there is a rule about shooting into a melee that is relevant.
Seppo wrote:
Page 10: "The disc floats level to the ground, at about the height of the caster's waist." Does this mean that when the caster walks up a steep slope, the disc tilts accordingly, or does the disc always stay parallel to "sea level"? I've always been curious about this one.
This is left to the individual GM. Personally, I rule the latter. Your book should not comment on this.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seppo

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:17 am

Thanks, Solomoriah! I'll delete the spells & research mention and add the stonework bit, then.