Galactic Encounters Role-Playing Game

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Basic Scifi Role-Playing Game

Post by SmootRK »

Had not noticed that until you mention it...
and now I cannot Un-Notice it.
Cannot have a BS anything game... methinks a new name needs to be figured out. lol
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

toddlyons wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:12 am
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:59 amAlso, R3 just uploaded.
Where? The starter post still links to R2.
Looks right to me. You might need to refresh.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Huh, I've been saying "BSF" without the "RPG" myself.

B***s*** f***ing RPG... :D And that's as close to swearing as you'll see around here.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:47 amLooks right to me. You might need to refresh.
Got it. I wasn't looking at the dates and times. I didn't realize that you'd literally just uploaded the file while I was reading through the thread. :D
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

I like where it's going. I played a bit of Gamma World back in the day, but not to the degree of D&D or Top Secret.

Loved the intro. I've read Moorcock and Leiber extensively but no Vance, so it's interesting to see where he ventures. I assumed just fantasy, given Gygax's references to Vancian magic.

I'm guessing that the How to Create a Player Character section will eventually contain some bolded section references to indicate where the reader should look for more information (like in BFRPG), or, identify itself as an overview. As written, it "demands" a lot of decision making from someone that may not grasp RPGs well, or is comfortable in another system but has no idea what classes there are or what special abilities mean in this system. Maybe it was just me, but with my 'n00b eyes' on, the character name part was actually the least stressful aspect of that section. :D

Very cool, anyway.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The whole "How to Create a Player Character" section is largely a cut-and-paste, and will be reviewed at some point.

Vance did quirky, somewhat comedic (but not like Discworld) fantasy. It was supposedly one of Gygax's influences, but I never cared for it all that much; read The Marvelous Rhialto and one or two of the Cugel books because "everyone said I should."

When I read the first Demon Princes book I was stunned. His galactic civilization stories are amazing. The last Demon Princes book even includes the only "invented" sport I've ever seen in a book that sounds (a) plausible, and (b) entertaining for both participants and spectators. Vance made up words whenever he felt like it, and they feel so plausible it's hard to tell the real words from the invented ones.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thinking it over, I suspect we need to allow for two specialized fabricator types.

One is a food fabricator. It takes only organic inputs and makes food for humans. Better units have more variety, make better-tasting food, etc., but even the most primitive models will keep you alive. There might be a whole hobby of people making and swapping programs for various interesting, possibly alien foods.

The other is a drug fabricator. Like the food fabricator, it takes only organic inputs, but is only capable of making pills or injections of the various novel drugs of the far future. But it can't make a cure for the incurable; doctors and scientists must invent the drugs before the pharmafab can make them.

Just my musings at this point...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

About the name...

Galactic Voyages RPG?
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

In case there's any inspiration to be gleaned from it:
Traveller SRD (OGL'd by Mongoose Publishing, 2008)
https://www.traveller-srd.com/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks. Didn't know it was OGL... that makes some things easier.

You could question creating a scifi game for that niche when Traveller is available for free... I did, just now. But I played Traveller back in college (they say that's when you experiment...) and never really liked the mechanics. I really want a game that "feels" like BFRPG or Iron Falcon, and can exchange content with those games freely. So this is still, as they say, the way.