Equipment Emporium Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for the Equipment Emporium supplement.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads. ... ntemporium
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Omote

Re: Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by Omote »

I'm loving this supplement so far. For years I have wanted a supplement just like this for BFRPG. With some more tuning, tweeking and layout, this will be a fantastic supplement for the BFRPG game. Keep up the awesome work.

~O
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

This is great! It looks tremendously useful.

I'm happy that you liked the wizard's gear I did in the MU Options supplement enough to include and expand upon it. Now I have to go back and modify MU Options to add in the stuff you guys came up with, and to cross list the Emporium in the index.

One question: What's the difference between a book and a spellbook? Is it just paper or parchment vs. vellum? I thought a MU could use anything for a spellbook, the difference being that paper is a lot less durable than vellum (whether or not a GM in a BF campaign would make that distinction is another matter).
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

As with many things in games, there are two answers.

The construction side: I found separate listings, and your spellbook listings were a titch more expensive, which seemed appropriate.

A rationale: Higher quality paper, special materials in construction to keep it from exploding, a fancier or more protective cover (or an outer case in the case of scroll-based "books") - whatever makes sense to you. If you want to, you can let PCs use any high-quality book for a spell book.
Go with a smile!
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

That makes sense.

Vellum is actually not paper; it is mammal skin, stretched paper-thin, scraped, cut and often treated to allow it to hold ink better. If you just look at a vellum book across a table, it looks the same, but when you actually read it you can see and feel that the pages are not paper. It's much more durable, but obviously takes time to prepare, not to mention a calf or some other animal.

So, that's why it's more expensive. I figure MUs should prefer vellum if for no other reason than because it's a lot tougher and lasts a lot longer than paper. I haven't really decided whether or not to make it a requirement in my game, mostly because I don't have a game right now, alas.

Edit: I just looked through the Emporium a little deeper on this and I think you probably already knew the difference between paper and vellum. Sorry if my explanation was redundant. Also, I claimed it's "much more durable," but in the Emporium you say it's not necessarily more durable. I think you're right; it depends on how well it's made. But, well-made vellum can be much more durable than paper.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Any new work on this?

At about 40ish pages, if this one gets a little more writing in those marked spots, some arbitrary figures put in for those prices that are not determined yet, perhaps put in an appendix for "equipment packs" (other supplement), and another good editorial run (to ensure consistent formatting)...

...then I think this one would make a great soft cover Lulu offering.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Version 2 went up at the end of July - mostly it's filling in blanks and clean up now. And adding artwork. (cough).

It could use a bit of polish on the text as well - or at the very least addressing the excess of "basically" and "essentially" statements. Any factual or conceptual errors need to be pointed out as well. But leave the puns.

Pricing and scaling may need a look. I tended to try and scale things evenly, but they may be a bit too standardized.

I'd also like to hear recommendations for changes on organization - changing the locations of items, breaking apart or combining tables, that sort of thing.
Go with a smile!
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

A Table with the movement values for each armor could be useful and allows for armors with the same AC and weight to have an extra factor added to it.

How about some reference for helmets, gauntlets and such extra pieces?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Omote

Post by Omote »

This is still a cool supplement that demands more attention.

~O
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat,
This is a large document. I think it is awesome, but I had a thought regarding getting it down in size. Perhaps this document only covers equipment, that is, Not Armor & Shields and Not Weapons. Instead, each of those topics can have their own Supplement accordingly (including the revisions you have made).

I might even suggest an Animal (mounts, guard-critter, pet, livestock) Supplement where all the extras for barding and such goes. Additional sections may be applicable as well.

In order to keep things together, I suggest a common naming theme:
Equipment Emporium: Weaponry
Equipment Emporium: Armor and Shields
Equipment Emporium: Gear and Services
etc. if you decide on breaking it up more.

??? Thoughts?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?