MapMatic +2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: MapMatic +2

Post by Solomoriah »

Metroknight wrote:I was wondering if having a button up in the corner like the FAQ button was possible.If not then don't worry about it.
Gah. Possible, yes. Easy, no. I hate working with PHP templates, and that's how the entire forum is put together.

If I go to that much trouble, I'll put in a link to the main site, not to MapMatic.
Hywaywolf wrote:It just looks like mapmatic is the primary mapping program since all of the tutorials, help files, sample maps, etc point to it. Just a suggestion, but for the sake of new users, you should let the older versions be the stand alone and the newest version have the support files and the dedicated page.
I really don't understand your point of view here. MapMatic +2 has exactly the same level of support (it's own page, specifically) as classic MapMatic, and now appears first on the tools page. Outsiders don't arrive at the classic MapMatic page (mapmatic.html) without first seeing the tools page, so anything done to "promote" +2 would need to be there.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I guess its just my assumption that although there is someone still using mapmatic it is mapmatic 2 that would be the recommended mapping program. It doesn't matter to me because I know that what is needed to learn mapmatic 2 is on the mapmatic page. Someone new to BFRPG site might not know that they are essentially the same program. I haven't used either in a while so I forget what the difference between the two is. But you asked opinions, I gave mine. Nuff said. On to other things :).

Is there a way to add text without doing it square by square. labeling has been difficult for me.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:I guess its just my assumption that although there is someone still using mapmatic it is mapmatic 2 that would be the recommended mapping program. It doesn't matter to me because I know that what is needed to learn mapmatic 2 is on the mapmatic page. Someone new to BFRPG site might not know that they are essentially the same program. I haven't used either in a while so I forget what the difference between the two is. But you asked opinions, I gave mine. Nuff said. On to other things :).
Not so fast, my canid friend... what would you recommend doing (short of killing it off entirely) to make it "recommended?"
Hywaywolf wrote:Is there a way to add text without doing it square by square. labeling has been difficult for me.
I use Gimp, myself... never found a better way.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

The mapmatic/mapmatic1 page just looks user friendly. It teaches you how to use mapmatic and to edit in mapmatic 1. mapmatic 2 takes you to a sign in page that looks like its for advanced users. Like I said. I don't even remember what the difference is between the two other than 2 lets me save my own personal files.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I Googled for MapMatic and found several sites that had direct links to mapmatic.html. This means that there is a path that avoids seeing the tools page. So, I moved the existing mapmatic.html to mapmatic1.html and added an explanatory page at mapmatic.html.

Please take a look and see if it explains things well enough.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Love the Map Compass! Thanx!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

I know this is a bit pathetic, but the reason I've never even tried MapMatic +2? The fact that I have to register and create an account to use it. I know it's not a big deal, but it's a barrier to use nonetheless. There may be very good reasons why you need users to register, but if this obstacle could be removed you might widen usership for lazy people like me.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

dymondy2k wrote:Love the Map Compass! Thanx!
You're welcome!
JoeCarr28 wrote:I know this is a bit pathetic, but the reason I've never even tried MapMatic +2? The fact that I have to register and create an account to use it. I know it's not a big deal, but it's a barrier to use nonetheless. There may be very good reasons why you need users to register, but if this obstacle could be removed you might widen usership for lazy people like me.
MapMatic +2 extends the MapMatic +1 user interface with the ability to store maps online. If you want to store maps online, I have to have some way to identify you (hence the account). If you don't want to store maps online, stick with MapMatic +1.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I like mapmatic 2 because I have a place to effortlessly keep my maps. Its nice to just click one button to log on and I see all my maps in one place. Most are public so that I can share them in game threads, but some are private for when I want to DM them and don't want anyone to see the whole map.

I don't see the problem with creating an account since BFRPG all ready has that information when I joined this site.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

MapMatic +2 needs only a handle and an email address; it neither knows nor cares about anything else, and the email is only used for activation.

I realize now that there's no "I forgot my password" option. Must add that.