[AA3] The Ruined Sawmill

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
sean8223

[AA3] The Ruined Sawmill

Post by sean8223 »

Hi Everyone. Here is a draft of an adventure that I wrote and recently ran with my group. I'm uploading in the hopes it might be of interest to others. The document as it stands now needs some styling to bring it up to the standards for publication, but it is otherwise complete enough to play. If there's enough interest I'd be more than happy to bring it up to spec.

Otherwise, if you run this adventure, I'd appreciate any feedback. Enjoy!

Edit: This is now available in AA3.
Last edited by sean8223 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiisu81

Re: The Ruined Sawmill

Post by chiisu81 »

No worries, I'm happy to help with that! 8-) But if you'd prefer to do it yourself, you can find the template in my sig below. Otherwise I can read it over tomorrow and work on it. Always happy to see new adventures on here!
Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

Looks like a fun adventure. I might try it out with a group I'm GMing. If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.
"Hide behind the mound of dead Bards!" -Flynn the Fine, Gamers: Dorkness Rising

An ex-parrot pining for the fjords, of course!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Here's r2. I've put in some of the HP checkboxes, but not the ones for the random encounters.
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

I've updated this to r3, correcting some typos and make some other minor formatting adjustments.

Thanks to chiisu81 for setting up the document!

Here are links to some videos showing a water-powered sawmill in action that were part of the inspiration behind this adventure:

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBPl1PcckGY
* https://youtu.be/yMGVFWOyBb4
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

Here's a new r4, which is basically style guide and formatting changes:

* Renumbers areas to run sequentially from 1-25
* Updates maps to reference new area numbers
* Converts images in document to grayscale from color

All maps are attached with their SVG Inkscape sources and png exports as well.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Thanks for continuing to work on this Sean 8-) I did mean to suggest re-numbering the areas as you have done. In fact, with this recent work I'm marking this for inclusion in AA3 (I've edited the thread title to include it). For right now AA3 entries are still being worked on in their own threads.
chiisu81

Re: [AA3] The Ruined Sawmill

Post by chiisu81 »

r4 moved to the first post.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Did an editing pass on this and here is what I found:

All stat blocks, add non-breaking spaces where needed.

Change all Move header from ‘MV’ to ‘Mv’

Page 2 – Places of Interest – Parageraph 1
Was:
well-travelled
Changed to:
well-traveled

Page 2 – Places of Interest – Paragraph 3
Was:
travellers
Changed to:
travelers

Page 3 – Places of Interest – Paragraph 5 (Forest/Camp)
Add commas
Was:
The path is overgrown and will be difficult to follow without a guide or experienced tracker. Movement rates will be slowed to 2/3 normal due to the difficulty of the terrain.
Changed to:
The path is overgrown, and will be difficult to follow without a guide or experienced tracker. Movement rates will be slowed to 2/3 normal, due to the difficulty of the terrain.

Page 4 – Rumor – Number 14
Bolded the word ‘Partially’ to match Rumor 9.

Page 4 – Rumor – Number 18
Was:
There is deep pool upstream of the camp that is inhabited by fairies.
Changed to:
There is a deep pool upstream of the camp that is inhabited by fairies.

Between Page 4 and 5 removed “Manual Column Break” to bring text into large white area on page 4 (almost a full column)

Between Page 5 columns removed “Manual Column Break” to bring text into large white area on page 5 (almost a full column)

Page 5 – Erychthus – Stat block
Bolded and Capitalize the type of Monster. Change At and Dam fields replaced ‘+’ with ‘/’, changed. Added ‘1d’ for number of spikes. All of these help bring the creature to match the Core Rules.
Was:
Erychthus a.k.a. “The Beast”, manticore: AC 18, HD 6+1*, #At 2 claws + 1 bite (melee) or 6 spikes (180’ range), Dam 1d4/1d4 + 2d4 or 1d6 per spike, MV 40' Fly 60' (10'), …
Changed to:
Erychthus a.k.a. “The Beast”, Manticore: AC 18, HD 6+1*, #At 2 claws/1 bite (melee) or 1d6 spikes (180’ range), Dam 1d4/1d4/2d4 or 1d6 per spike, Mv 40' Fly 60' (10'), …

Page 5 – Epiphallus – Stat block
Bolded and Capitalize the type of Monster. Added asterisk to HD field. #At field replaced ‘horns/hooves or dagger’ with ‘head butt/dagger or shortbow’, Dam field replaced ‘2d4+1 or 1d4+1’ with ‘1d6 head butt/1d4 dagger or 1d6 shortbow. All of these help bring the creature to match the Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1.
Was
Epiphallus, satyr: AC 15, HD 5, #At 1 horns/hooves or dagger, Dam 2d4+1 or 1d4+1, MV 40’,
Changed to:
Epiphallus, Satyr: AC 15, HD 5*, #At 1 head butt/ dagger or shortbow, Dam 1d6 head butt/1d4 dagger or 1d6 shortbow, Mv 40’,

Page 5 – Fergnorm – Stat block
Bolded and Capitalize the type of Monster. Changed to ‘Troglodyte Warrior’ since a ‘Troglodyte Leader’ in the Core Rules has an HD 6.

Page 5 – Melliconia – Stat block
Bolded and Capitalize the type of Monster.

Page 7 – Weird Event/Object - #10 The Peddler
Was:
travelling
Change to:
traveling

Page 8 – Random Encounter Tables – Forest (Night) – #8 Brush Horror Stat block
Adjusted At and Dam to match the stats given in the New Monster section. Adjust ‘HP 4’ to ‘HD 1d4 HP’. Added ‘takes’ to the fire damage description after the XP field.
Was
HP 4, #At 1 claws, Dam 1d4+1, … … XP 25 ea., double damage from fire,…
Changed to:
HD 1d4 HP, #At 2 claws, Dam 1d4+1/1d4+1,… … XP 25 ea., takes double damage from fire,…

Page 8 – Random Encounter Tables – Camp
Put the Night encounters on their own lines.

Page 8 – Random Encounter Tables – Camp – #3 Night Brush Horror Stat block
Adjusted At and Dam to match the stats given in the New Monster section. Adjust ‘HP 4’ to ‘HD 1d4 HP’. Added ‘takes’ to the fire damage description after the XP field.
Was
HP 4, #At 1 claws, Dam 1d4+1, … … XP 25 ea., double damage from fire,…
Changed to:
HD 1d4 HP, #At 2 claws, Dam 1d4+1/1d4+1,… … XP 25 ea., takes double damage from fire,…

Page 8 – Giant Water Snake – Stat block
Add Dam field header.
Was:
#At 1 bite 1 + poison,
Change to:
#At 1 bite, Dam 1 + poison,

Page 8 – Stirges – Stat block
Change AC from ‘11’ to ‘13’ to match Core Rules.

Page 9 – 6. Worker’s hut #2 – Paragraph 1
Was:
Maydl lived here with her parents and adult brother and has hoarded such remains of the oak (branches, planks, boards) as she could find. She has constructed a ramshackle shrine to the spirit in the woods here which is the locus of the magic associated with the curse.
Changed to:
Maydl lived here with her parents and adult brother. She has collected as many pieces of the sacred oak (branches, planks, boards) that she could find. From the pieces of the sacred oak Maydl has constructed a ramshackle shrine to the spirit in the woods here, which is the locus of the magic associated with the curse.

Page 9 – 6. Worker’s hut #2 – Paragraph 1
Was:
She will not have any recall as to how she got here or where the adults have gone.
Changed to:
She will not recall how she got here or where the adults have gone.

Page 9 – Giant Crab Spiders – Stat block
Changed name to Giant Black Widow Spider since the stats provided are for that creature over a Giant Crab Spider.

Page 10 – Rot Grubs – Stat block
Add Dam field header.
Was:
#At 1 (special),
Changed to:
#At 1, Dam (special),

Page 10 – 14. Saw Tables – Paragraph 1
The Water Wheel mentioned here as being area 18 on the maps and later in the module it is labeled as area 20. Changing this sentence to use area 20 for the Water Wheel.
Was:
A large lever at the head of this table will engage the water wheel (area 18) and start the saw mill.
Changed to:
A large lever at the head of this table will engage the water wheel (area 20) and start the saw mill.

Page 11 – Gunch – Stat block
Bolded and Capitalize the type of Monster. Changed to ‘Gnoll Warrior’ since a ‘Gnoll Leader’ in the Core Rules has an HD 6. Adjusted Morale to 9 since he will give a +1 to the other Gnolls. Also adding note to Gnoll Parties that when Gunch is with the Party the Morale will be at a 9 instead of 8.

Page 13 – Brush Horror – Stat lines
Added a second damage entry to be closer in line with Core Rules and other Basic Fantasy Styles.
Was:
No. of Attacks: 2 claws
Damage: 1d4+1
Changed to:
No. of Attacks: 2 claws
Damage: 1d4+1/1d4+1

Title page – Credits
Added a “Proofing” line to title page and put my name to it.

Put r5 into the first post of this thread.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Had a couple of questions for Sean to look at on this:

Pages 7 and 8
Need HP boxes for the creatures in the Random Encounter Tables

In the Camp Random Encounter Tables #6 has a note that the Ghouls are part of the group from Area 11. Is the same true for the Ghouls in Encounters 7 and 12?