Shorter spell descriptions for spell cards

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
pytheas

Shorter spell descriptions for spell cards

Post by pytheas »

I started thinking about creating some nice looking spell cards. I want these to be suitable for professional printing (at places like DriveThrough or GameCrafter). Of course, they should also be useful in play and that means they need to contain as much pertinent information as possible. Some of the spell descriptions are quite long (Magic Jar, I'm looking at you) and will never fit on something like a poker card. So I set out to edit the spell descriptions down to a size that will actually fit on a card while still being readable. For some spells that means removing information, even if it may be required during play. To alleviate this issue each card will come with a page number to facilitate finding the full-length description.

Condensing all the spells down to manageable size takes some time but I've now completed the first editing pass for the Magic-User spells from the core book. Having the shortened spell descriptions is only half the battle though, they also need to go on cards. I said I want the cards to be visually appealing but it is clear that the card design is likely to change over time. To make changing the card design as easy as possible (and editing hundreds of cards to apply some new design is certainly not my idea of easy), I've also created a system that allows an SVG template to be populated with the spell details. So if you want to make use of the short spell descriptions as part of your own favourite card design that is (almost) as easy as pressing a button.

I've attached a complete set of MU spell cards as pdf file. There also is a GitHub repo https://github.com/humburg/bfrpg_spell_cards where you can find the spell descriptions and templates. If you would like to suggest some edits to the spell descriptions you are very welcome to do so, either here or over on GitHub. As I said, this is the result of the first editing pass and improvements are definitely possible.
Attachments
Cleric-spell-cards_r1.pdf
Cleric spells
(8.86 MiB) Downloaded 382 times
MU-spell-cards_r2.pdf
Magic-User spells
(9.52 MiB) Downloaded 380 times
Last edited by pytheas on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pytheas

Re: Shorter spell descriptions for spell cards

Post by pytheas »

I've fixed some typos and inconsistencies in wording on the cards. Cleric spells are up next.
teaman

Post by teaman »

This is VERY nice work, must've taken a LONG time.

Thanks for that resource.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
pytheas

Post by pytheas »

And now there are Cleric spells, too.
Artanisace

Post by Artanisace »

Hey man! Do you have the .text file or whatever you used, so I can use the template and modify them? Thanks for the work! :)
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

Love these. I also like how you condensed the spell descriptions. I was thinking of doing that too but you’ve done the work already. Thank you!
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.