Basic Fantasy 3rd Edition - Character Creator

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy 3rd Edition - Character Creator

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm

The good thing about Python is that I can prototype something quickly, and then polish it a bit and be done.

:D

Not trying to start a fight here... actually, I'm rather curious about what you don't like about Python.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
IndustriousNomad

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Last edited by IndustriousNomad on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:11 pm

"DLL related." I'm not at all sure how this happens... I've literally never had a DLL error of any sort, other than older versions needing the MS C runtime installed, with any Python program I've written. I just did deploy a major (for me, "departmental" for anyone working in the corporate world) system written on Linux for a customer and put it on their Windows server, and had exactly one problem which I already knew about... Windows lacks fork(). That's not a Python issue, but a Windows vs. Linux issue. But that affects only a small part of the program, and I had already found another way to make the code work.

I've also encountered truly "buggy" libraries exactly once... it's the only contribution to Python with my name on it. :D os.environ[] wasn't correctly transferred to new processes under Linux, so I fixed it and submitted it years ago (before Python 3, I think).

I gave up intentionally working with compiled languages years ago, mainly because the principal benefit, speed, is just not an issue anymore. Not for business applications, nor for my game-supporting programs. I have six customers, one with two main locations, running totally custom software I wrote for them in Python, with no significant issues; half are on Windows servers, half on Linux. So it's not just "on my computer."

But as I say, not trying to start a fight. It just seems to me that your exposure to Python may not have been under what I'd call "normal" circumstances.

... and I'd love to see your friend's LCARS application. Might even be able to fix it for him.
IndustriousNomad

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Last edited by IndustriousNomad on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orobouros

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:03 pm

If I had more time I'd look into creating a python version of this.
IndustriousNomad

Post Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:40 am

Last edited by IndustriousNomad on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhambrewer

Post Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 am

useful utility, thanks.

Running it on an XP virtual machine running under VirtualBox on Ubuntu. Works perfectly!
IndustriousNomad

Post Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:57 am

Rosisha

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:29 am

--
Last edited by Rosisha on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am

Python is not buggy. Trying to translate another language, one you know well, into Python rarely works out though, unless you also know Python well. Python has its own philosophy, and it's different from the philosophy of languages like C or Ruby or Java. If you don't understand it, yeah, it's going to fight you.

Learning to think Pythonically made me a better programmer. Your mileage may vary. But I'll tell you right now, a sure-fire way to make me cross is to call Python buggy without any examples.