Basic Fantasy 3rd Edition - Character Creator

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy 3rd Edition - Character Creator

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm

The good thing about Python is that I can prototype something quickly, and then polish it a bit and be done.

:D

Not trying to start a fight here... actually, I'm rather curious about what you don't like about Python.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
IndustriousNomad

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Solomoriah wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm
The good thing about Python is that I can prototype something quickly, and then polish it a bit and be done.

:D

Not trying to start a fight here... actually, I'm rather curious about what you don't like about Python.
Not a fan of python. I would rather script in LUA before I touch python. Buggy crap set of libraries. And never guarenteed to work cross OSes. At least if you compile with a LUA compiler, it works with all versions of windows from XP to Win10. But Python, the way it's libraries are setup, it's a frustrating mess. It's as bad as DotNet Framework when it comes to specific functions. Meaning, if you are not precise on the version, it simply will not work. I have ran into this problem repeatedly with Python. And it's why I won't even bother. One guy even made his own LCARS program with it. Worked ONLY on his computer. But not any mine or my other two friends machines. Even when we tried to get the same lirbary runtimes from the website. We saw that it works on a video he took, but we shown him the errors and it was all DLL related. None of us liked Python after that. And this isn't the first time, it's been a problem for years. My other friend loves python, swears by it. Claims he has never had an issue. But then again, he doesn't write for other people either. Only for his computer.

C# / Java, work. IF they are written correctly, as I have proven with my own code. But in the end, C++ will always be my favorite truly cross-platform language.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:11 pm

"DLL related." I'm not at all sure how this happens... I've literally never had a DLL error of any sort, other than older versions needing the MS C runtime installed, with any Python program I've written. I just did deploy a major (for me, "departmental" for anyone working in the corporate world) system written on Linux for a customer and put it on their Windows server, and had exactly one problem which I already knew about... Windows lacks fork(). That's not a Python issue, but a Windows vs. Linux issue. But that affects only a small part of the program, and I had already found another way to make the code work.

I've also encountered truly "buggy" libraries exactly once... it's the only contribution to Python with my name on it. :D os.environ[] wasn't correctly transferred to new processes under Linux, so I fixed it and submitted it years ago (before Python 3, I think).

I gave up intentionally working with compiled languages years ago, mainly because the principal benefit, speed, is just not an issue anymore. Not for business applications, nor for my game-supporting programs. I have six customers, one with two main locations, running totally custom software I wrote for them in Python, with no significant issues; half are on Windows servers, half on Linux. So it's not just "on my computer."

But as I say, not trying to start a fight. It just seems to me that your exposure to Python may not have been under what I'd call "normal" circumstances.

... and I'd love to see your friend's LCARS application. Might even be able to fix it for him.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
IndustriousNomad

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 pm

My Philosophy is simple, if it works for you, use it. I use the right language for the right job that works for me and my target audience at the time I need it. ;)
orobouros

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:03 pm

If I had more time I'd look into creating a python version of this.