Basic Fantasy 3rd Edition - Character Creator

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
IndustriousNomad

Basic Fantasy 3rd Edition - Character Creator

Post Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:58 pm

I created this in C#, but I do plan on converting it to C++. ( I use C# / Java for prototyping. )

VIRUS TOTAL RESULTS : ( Has two false positives )
( Updated this with new exe file - 11/28/2018 )
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/e643b ... /detection

The C# source code and Executable program are included. ( It's a Windows program since that is all I targeted. It's why I submitted the source code for those who want to compile it for other OSes. )
BF3CC.png
BF3CC.png (31.47 KiB) Viewed 183 times

This does not include Spells, Armor, or Weapons. This is just to help out with creating the basic stats for the character, and the rest is up to the player / GM.

* FIXED - Halfling now correctly has maximum str of 17
* FIXED - The project is now all in a subfolder
* FIXED - Magic-User now correctly has minimum of 9 Intelligence
* ADDED - Licensing information

ZIP FILE HERE
( Updated this with new ZIP file - 11/28/2018 )
Attachments
BF3rdCC.zip
(53.62 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by IndustriousNomad on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
orobouros

Re: Basic Fantasy 3rd Edition - Character Creator

Post Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Are you releasing the code itself under OGL?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:21 am

I just got the program built and running under Linux... first time I've ever tried with C#. Cool!

But I found an issue... I was able to choose Magic-User with a character having 8 Int. This should be illegal. I could not, however, choose Cleric with 4 Wis. The missing check should be around line 146 in MainForm.cs, assuming you want to maintain alphabetical order. Also, you have the wrong comparison operator on line 116... Halflings are apparently required to have 18 Str. :D Simple typo, that one.

I'd also suggest that you zip the entire folder, that is, including the folder itself, so unzipping it makes a subfolder and puts everything in it, rather than strewing bits of source code in the Downloads folder. I'm not sure how you make your zip file, or I'd give more explicit instructions.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
IndustriousNomad

Post Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:19 am

orobouros wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm
Are you releasing the code itself under OGL?
That is a good question. I didn't even think about licensing. lol

The source code is open for you to do whatever you want, but with the exception that you stick with the OGL that Chris Gonnerman has put forth with regards to his game system mechanics. This code is not meant to be a way for anyone to steal his hard work.

So if you re-compile the code yourself, give out the compiled program, or do what you want, long as you abide by his OGL license. If you make some mega program out of this, and you have Chris Gonnerman's permission, you can even sell the compiled program. I don't care.

However, you can not sell the source code itself.

Solomoriah wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:21 am
I just got the program built and running under Linux... first time I've ever tried with C#. Cool!

But I found an issue... I was able to choose Magic-User with a character having 8 Int. This should be illegal.

I could not, however, choose Cleric with 4 Wis. The missing check should be around line 146 in MainForm.cs, assuming you want to maintain alphabetical order. Also, you have the wrong comparison operator on line 116... Halflings are apparently required to have 18 Str. :D Simple typo, that one.

I'd also suggest that you zip the entire folder, that is, including the folder itself, so unzipping it makes a subfolder and puts everything in it, rather than strewing bits of source code in the Downloads folder. I'm not sure how you make your zip file, or I'd give more explicit instructions.
Yea I'm used to windows, wich sets up the folders nicely for me. ;) :lol: :lol:
I'll rezip it once I tackle the two errors in the code that you found. Thank you for that. I'll update the OP with the new ZIP once done.

EDIT UPDATE : According to page 7 of the Basic Fantasy 3rd Edition ( Paperback copy I have ) it says that any character that chooses to be a Cleric MUST have a minimum of 9 WISDOM to use that class.
The way you worded "I could not, however, choose Cleric with 4 Wis", Does this mean this has changed since the printing of this book ?

Cheers
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:37 am

No, I was telling you that logic was good. The character I generated had 8 Int and 4 Wis, and your program allowed him to be a magic-user but not a cleric.

Sorry if I was unclear.
IndustriousNomad

Post Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:23 am

Solomoriah wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:37 am
No, I was telling you that logic was good. The character I generated had 8 Int and 4 Wis, and your program allowed him to be a magic-user but not a cleric.

Sorry if I was unclear.
Haha no worries. At leasts it's fixed up now. Let me know if you find any other issues.

Cheers
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:31 pm

What amazes me is that the exe file runs on my Linux box; of course, I had to install the Mono runtime first, but I didn't know they were that portable.
IndustriousNomad

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:45 am

Solomoriah wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:31 pm
What amazes me is that the exe file runs on my Linux box; of course, I had to install the Mono runtime first, but I didn't know they were that portable.
The only reason it works is because it's pure code, no extras. So I am not calling any non-native C#. I don't have a linux machine, so I couldn't test it. But it's why I tried to stick close to pure Core C# as I could. I am not a fan of C#, because, generally speaking, it is not truely cross-platform. But since this program is just a few dropdowns, labels, a timer and text, then in retrospect, when you think about it, there really isn't much to it. Those are part of Mono, so this is why it works. If I had added other functionality, such as Graphics ( or GDI+ ) then it most likely would have bombed. I also targeted Net Framework 4.0+. This means, in my SharpDevelop IDE, I told it to target anything that is related to 4.0 basic core profile and it will work with any version of 4.x, on any computer that has mono installed. It's the only reason this worked on your linux machine. If I had compiled this under Visual Studio, then it would never have worked on your linux box.

Bottom line, use Sharpdevelop to compile for C#5. ( which targets dotnet 4.x non-specific version )
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:13 am

Or just program in Python. :D
IndustriousNomad

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:04 am

Solomoriah wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:13 am
Or just program in Python. :D
:lol: :lol:

Yea Python and I have an understanding between us, leave each other alone. :lol:

The good thing about C# / Java though is I can prototype something out fairly quickly, to get the "lay of the land" so to speak, and then I can convert it to C++ from there.