Playing God

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
ThorinSchmidt

Playing God

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

So, after being asked by gamers personally, and by seeing a thread about it, I decided to create a document describing how to create a pantheon for gaming. It is only a few pages long, but I'm hopeful it will help people. Please read it and feel free to offer suggestions how to improve it.

UPDATE: 05/18/19 release 4. various edits for spacing, spelling, word choice. also set the headers properly.

UPDATE: 11/1/2019 release 5. added a few more sample deities and added some "add-ons" as well as updating ideas for how to have a world with only one god.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=174
Last edited by ThorinSchmidt on Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
chiisu81

Re: Playing God

Post by chiisu81 »

An interesting take and supplement, and easy to implement as well as customize! 8-) I edited a few small things, here's r2.
Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

I appreciate how practical and concise this guide is. I also like the idea of creating a elementalism-themed pantheon. It seems that almost all of the campaigns I've ever played in have had a pantheon loosely based on either Greek or Norse deities, and I've gotten quite tired of those models at this point. Something entirely different would be a welcome change.
"Hide behind the mound of dead Bards!" -Flynn the Fine, Gamers: Dorkness Rising

An ex-parrot pining for the fjords, of course!
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Thank you! I actually need to add a few more things to the "add-on" section. And also a few other sample gods. Not a complete pantheon, mind you, just a few examples to get ideas flowing.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Okay, so since I couldn't work on the app, I updated "Playing God".
So here is r3. Let me know how I can make it better.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

It has been awhile since I've visited this project, and I still want to go forward with it. My dream is for this to someday make it to the Downloads page. With that in mind, do any of the Powers That Be (Solo, Chiisu, etc) have any advice for what is still lacking to make this "Download-worthy"?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Here's a revised r3. I put in a few page/column breaks, updated the date (2018-2019) and your PDF didn't have the fonts. I can PM you the fonts later, I don't have access to them right now.

As far as eligibility on the Downloads page, that will be up to Solo. If it was specific/custom religions, politics, etc. I don't think it would be. However, your supplement is generic and leaves the creation up to the GM, so it mayyyyy pass. I really like the examples! 8-)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sounds like I need to read this one.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Cool, thanks! Oh, and when I said I was hoping for it to make it to the Downloads page, I was really just meaning as a supplement, or in the showcase. I've added a couple more sample deities too. I'll add those in as well.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

chiisu81 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm Here's a revised r3. I put in a few page/column breaks, updated the date (2018-2019) and your PDF didn't have the fonts.
Thank you. I was wondering about some of the page breaks, though. especially the one on the first page. Is that space for some art later? or is that just my machine being wonky?
I can PM you the fonts later, I don't have access to them right now.
I would really appreciate that. I used the .ott files when making this. do they not have the proper fonts already embedded? Or again, is my machine being wonky?
I really like the examples! 8-)
Thank you. I'm not always that creative, but I tried to make something colorful and useful. The idea was to give GMs a starting point if they needed one.

I also added version 3.2 to the first post. It has you credited, as well as an example for an elemental.