Midwinter / Christmas themed adventure

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MrsIlythia

Midwinter / Christmas themed adventure

Post by MrsIlythia »

Hi all,
As a very new DM I have just run a Christmassyish themed adventure I cobbled together for my family over our early Christmas weekend and it went surprisingly well so I have decided to try and write it a bit more clearly. The basic introduction is below along with the GM basic overview. Like I say the way I ran it was a bit slapdash so any ideas/advice would be welcome, and also let me know if this is something you would like me to try and flesh out a bit more?

PC intro
For years all good younglings of all races have received Midwinter gifts from the benevolent gnome Kringle, who, as everyone knows, lives in the hidden village of Norska.
Krampus, his nemesis, punishes the bad younglings but over the last few decades has been getting very frustrated at Kringle giving gifts to younglings he feels are undeserving. This year he has decided to do something about it.
You are shopping for midwinter gifts in the local town festival. As you are standing around a stall with statues of happy gnomes a dishevelled gnome appears in a shower of glitter on the floor in front of you. He begs for your help as he has managed to escape and using some of Kringles midwinter teleportation magic has come to ask for aid in rescuing Kringle and stopping Krampus. He can teleport you to the edge of the magic forest should you wish to aid him.

GM info to start

Norska is a hidden walled community inside the a magic pine forest populated by festive Treants. Inside are usually a couple dozen gnomes working on gifts, Kringle, and his reindeer (draft horse stats).
A week ago Krampus (based on an Ibix) and a band of goblins and hobgoblins invaded Norska, locked up Kringle, and are forcing the gnomes to make horrible toys that will break or harm the children. They have no fed the reindeer either and they are locked up and furious.
One gnome has escaped to find help with enough of Kringles teleportation magic to get a party to the outside of the magic forest. After he teleports them he will die of exhaustion having been starved and beaten for the last week.

The magic forest which is pine trees with baubles instead of pine cones, will have festive treants who will attack if the trees are damaged but will help if anyone can speak to them and explain what has happened. There are also Polar bears / frost giants roaming the outside of the forest (which surround Norska for 100' in all directions.

Snowmen (based on skeletons) guard the gates but again they are on Kringles side and don't know what has happened inside Norska, they can be persuaded to help. maybe. They're not that bright :lol:
chiisu81

Re: Midwinter / Christmas themed adventure

Post by chiisu81 »

What a great first post (welcome to the forums!) 8-) I would definitely like to see more!
jackel

Post by jackel »

This is a pretty good start. You should flesh it out more. Snowmen should take double damage from flamebase attacks.
Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

Sounds like a pretty fun adventure to me. Seconding what chiisu said, I'd definitely like to see more! :)
"Hide behind the mound of dead Bards!" -Flynn the Fine, Gamers: Dorkness Rising

An ex-parrot pining for the fjords, of course!
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Yes! This is a really great adventure idea! i'd love to see it!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
MrsIlythia

Post by MrsIlythia »

Just to update, I hadn't forgotten about this, I have been playing it with my school groups and the last group has only just (as in an hour ago) finished :shock:
Now I know the best way to go about things I can get to writing it up!