Dungeoneer Upgrade Plans

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Dungeoneer Upgrade Plans

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm thinking about upgrading some of the dungeon generation features of the Dungeoneer suite. Among other things, a comment in the Facebook group about using the dungeon room stocking tool and getting two NPC parties in one relatively small level has led me to believe the dungeon room stocking code should have its own tables; presently, it uses the random encounter tables.

For example, shriekers. They aren't on the random encounter tables, but they should absolutely be in many dungeons. I'm sure there are other monsters that fall into that category as well. Shriekers, in fact, probably should appear on a broad range of dungeon levels; since they have no effective attack other than to summon other monsters, they don't present an "unbalancing" challenge anywhere.

I'm interested in comments on how to go forward with this. If you have monsters in mind that should appear in the room stocker, let me know; if you have other things you'd like to see, throw that in.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Re: Dungeoneer Upgrade Plans

Post by chiisu81 »

Were shriekers always there or added for 3rd edition? I noticed on the Dungeoneer page it says Core Rules r74, so it is quite behind the current release. Also, I had hemmed and hawed in the past to ask you about possibly including monsters from the FG (and perhaps FG2 now), possibly with checkbox(es) to include them or not? I know it'd take some work to create new .py files for those works, but I'd be willing to help out.

This might be another thing where checking out my Monster Index might help. :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've altered the files to include shriekers as of today, and despite the note on the page, it's R107. Need to fix that I guess. But I still need ideas for additional monsters for the stocker.

And yes, I am interested in Field Guide 1 monsters; FG2 can wait until it hits print.
borgar

Post by borgar »

How about the Mimic? May look like furniture and work great a as a trap. Though I guess it works well enough as a random encounter.

BTW, though I just love "The Luggage" from the Discword books I usually avoid using it as a fake chest. The last time I used a mimic it was a fake door. Cabinets are also great snare for greedy adventurers.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

borgar wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:38 am BTW, though I just love "The Luggage" from the Discword books I usually avoid using it as a fake chest.
You should check out the magical item compendium in the workshop. I tried to replicate The Luggage, and made a stat block for it, although I did not include the ability to swallow creatures.

Back on topic: dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (an open source roguelike) has what they call “vaults” which are predesigned areas that always contain unique features, and sometimes monsters that often follow some theme. They kind of remind me of the TSR Books of Lairs, although most vaults are smaller and more modular than the lairs.

Creating something like that would take considerably more effort, but it might be fun, and we could make a PDF of the encounters.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
forager

Post by forager »

Is there any need for assistance with tool development? I've some experience with Python (more with C# some with others as well). I'm a huge fan of OSS and rpgs and I would love to help out on a project combining the two. I could probably provide more useful assistance coding than writing or proofreading.
Last edited by forager on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Take a look at Dungeoneer on Github. Anything you see that needs attention, do a pull request.

Any questions, post them here.

Thanks!
forager

Post by forager »

I don't know about needs attention but I did have a thought to make it possible to chain together the stocker with a random map generator because I have always wanted to play with one of those generator algorithms and simply because I thought it would be neat.

I thought I could start by documenting the API (for myself mostly to learn it) and then breaking out some of the code to make it usable outside a strict http request/response cycle. After that I would look into a map generator. If that all sounds good to you anyway.

The other thought I had was to make it possible for a user to provide their own monster list to populate a dungeon providing the data as JSON or some such thing.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Documenting the API... yeah, that might be a good idea. :D
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I noticed you added an "Encounter Level" line below "Dungeon Level" line for each monster recently in Monsters.py. Buh?