Dungeoneer Upgrade Plans

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Dungeoneer Upgrade Plans

Post by chiisu81 »

Moved to Workshop.

Up to Boglin. Not sure why I didn't notice this before, but Boglin having HD 1 to 5 is just....no. Why would a magic-wielding goblin have even more HD than a goblin, and that's its minimum... I'm keen to just have it set to 1*.

Solo: also added file on Github as a proposed new file for the Dungeoneer repository(?). It's all still pretty freakin new for me, but I'm trying to learn. :D Assuming it's correct and goes through, once I complete more work I'll both upload here as well as the new file on Github.

Edit: actually working from my own fork of Dungeoneer on GitHub
Attachments
MonstersFG1.zip
(4.67 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I wondered about their hit dice as well, but haven't really given it much thought.

When we have a working FG1 monsters file, I'll integrate it into the dungeon stocker with an option to turn it on or off (for those who do or do not want to use it).

... wonder if we should implement categories, so you can check "undead" or "Nazgoreans" or whatever ...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Boglins have MU use at 2x their listed HD.... ie 1 HD boglin = level 2 MU, a 2 HD boglin = level 4. The thinking was d4x2 (from MU) but trying to keep simple whole HD numbers.

So, they had 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 HD, and their magic use went from level 2 thru 10 commensurate with the HD (x2).

That said, it could be changed. It could be d4 or 1/2HD type and up to 10 such hd, and Magic Use equivalent to the listed hd and it would still fit the concept I had going on when I made these.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Ok I'll enter it as-is and keep working on the file.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

:|
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, that is kinda ugly...
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'm still combing through the codebase to learn what all does what, so I'm being conservative with editing until I grok it. Of course when finished and send back to you you'll be able to compare, etc. through GitHub. Before then I may just download a local copy and test on a "local webpage".
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Still (slowly) working on FG1monsters.py while juggling a few other writing and editing items.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Changing everything needed to match the Style Guide would take too much work (ie things like bolding magic items, un-capitalizing regular weapons and armor, bolding and un-capitalizing spell names, etc.), but I think at least the following would help.

Note: I'm no expert programmer and haven't looked at-depth at how all of this works; I don't know where things may need to be changed beyond what's suggested below to ensure everything still works as intended.

Adventurer.py
- line 48: change "CHR" to "CHA"

Coins.py
- lines 40-44: change "CP", "SP", etc. to "cp", "sp", etc.

Monsters.py
- I notice the first 11 monsters have an "xp" line/value; does one of us (ie likely me) just need to supply you (Solo) an updated file that has XP values for the rest of them?

MonstersFG1.py
- It looks like each entry has a blank "name" line (and all but the first indented too far right); like above, does one of us (ie likely me) just need to supply you (Solo) an updated file that has those "name" values typed in?
- In addition to above, is anything else needed for this file in order for it to be used by the dungeon room generator (ie if you were intending a checkbox w/ "Check to include Field Guide 1 monster" or such)?

Stocker.py
- Monsters need xp values (likely due to Monsters.py note above)
- comma needs to be added for 4-digit values
- "ea." needs to be added when there's > 1 monster
- HP checkboxes
- don't need "HP" after the first line

Treasure.py
- lines w/ "CP", "SP", etc. need to be changed to "cp", "sp", etc.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

chiisu81 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:16 am Changing everything needed to match the Style Guide would take too much work (ie things like bolding magic items, un-capitalizing regular weapons and armor, bolding and un-capitalizing spell names, etc.),
Eh, don't rule it out. You'd be amazed what I can do with vim if I feel like it. :D
chiisu81 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:16 am Adventurer.py
- line 48: change "CHR" to "CHA"

Coins.py
- lines 40-44: change "CP", "SP", etc. to "cp", "sp", etc.

Treasure.py
- lines w/ "CP", "SP", etc. need to be changed to "cp", "sp", etc.
All of the above have been fixed.
chiisu81 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:16 am Monsters.py
- I notice the first 11 monsters have an "xp" line/value; does one of us (ie likely me) just need to supply you (Solo) an updated file that has XP values for the rest of them?

MonstersFG1.py
- It looks like each entry has a blank "name" line (and all but the first indented too far right); like above, does one of us (ie likely me) just need to supply you (Solo) an updated file that has those "name" values typed in?
- In addition to above, is anything else needed for this file in order for it to be used by the dungeon room generator (ie if you were intending a checkbox w/ "Check to include Field Guide 1 monster" or such)?

Stocker.py
- Monsters need xp values (likely due to Monsters.py note above)
- comma needs to be added for 4-digit values
- "ea." needs to be added when there's > 1 monster
- HP checkboxes
- don't need "HP" after the first line
I stopped putting in xp fields when I realized I didn't need them... this was before the Style Guide, when I didn't include XP in adventures. And yes, fixing the data omissions from Monsters and MonstersFG1 could be that simple; easier yet, if you are familiar with git, to clone the repo, make the changes, and then do a pull request.

Stocker.py needs a bit more work to get the things you've mentioned fixed. Literally, the code needs to be gone over and improved. It's all Python 2 code, which should at some point be made over as Python 3 (but it's not a priority right now).