BFRPG in Catalan (translation to Catalan)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
jtorra

BFRPG in Catalan (translation to Catalan)

Post by jtorra »

I'm considering translate core rules book into Catalan language. My primary motivation is to make it more accessible to my daughters (10 and 8 years old). We already started playing with Labyrinth Lord but I'd found your project more appealing because its Open Source nature (I'm an Open Source developer).

Please could you provide me some advice?
Attachments
BFRPG-Glossari-r3.odt
(46.38 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
BFRPG-CoreRules-Tablet-r6-Catalan-r6.pdf
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
BFRPG-CoreRules-Tablet-r6-Catalan-r6.odt
(528.64 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Last edited by jtorra on Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
chiisu81

Re: BFRPG in Catalan (translation to Catalan)

Post by chiisu81 »

Welcome to the game and forums! 8-)

You may find it easier to work with my tablet-friendly version. You can try its indicated font to see if it works, otherwise you can edit the text body style to a font that does work better. AFAIK the font isn't embedded in our ODTs.
jtorra

Post by jtorra »

I'm looking into your tabled-friendly version and I'd might take that path.

At the end it seems that the issue is that I don't have the proper fonts installed.

I'd tried to download the Soutane font (ttf) and installed it on MacOS and Ubuntu 18.04 but there's still something wrong. I'm comparing the PDF for your tablet version with what I get in libreoffice and I'm getting something like stroke swapped. It looks like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a1irx8l7c9dq ... M.png?dl=0

Do you know which fonts and from where needs to be downloaded/installed?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I've PM'ed you a link to the BFRPG fonts.

I didn't realize my tablet version also used Soutane. Like you said you'll likely need to change the font to correctly display the interpoint dot symbol. Like we tell everyone who works on translations, don't worry about flow and layout, just the wording. That's why I recommended my version to start with. If and when you complete that, we can then put that text into the "regular" Core Rules odt.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not sure what "stroke swapped" means, but your screenshot doesn't look wrong to me. What looks wrong about it to you?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jtorra

Post by jtorra »

@solomoriah: same section when looking at the pdf version https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbaz0wsar3m04 ... M.png?dl=0

It seems MacOS was selecting some random font that do not have the interdot defined in my first attempt when I didn't have any Soutane font installed on the system. When I'd tried on Ubuntu 18.04 it was selecting a different font and this confused me even more.

The 3 ttfs I'd downloaded from fonts101 seems that wasn't enough. Now I'd installed the ones from the zip and all looks good.

I'll continue translating the tablet edition and I'll center myself on the wording for now.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Sounds good. 8-) As you progress edit the first post in this thread and attach both the ODT and PDF of your work. Once you do enough (I'd say a chapter at a time) bump up the release number. For your work I'd recommend the filename "BFRPG-Rules-r107-Catalan-r1".
jtorra

Post by jtorra »

I'd attached Part 1 and Part 2 translated on the first post.

Just a minor remark. At the Human description there's the following:

"An average Human male in good health stands around six feet tall and weighs about 175 pounds. Most Humans live around 75 years."

Maybe it would sound better if it's genderless or females are added too.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

As a translation, you must be faithful to the original text; converting the measurements to metric is fine, of course. However, your comment on gender would be welcome in the main Core Rules thread, where it might well get implemented in the next revision.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jtorra

Post by jtorra »

I had updated with parts from 1 to 4. Although Spells and Adventure are just partially revised.