The Baroness of Blood

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
GM Parseth

The Baroness of Blood

Post by GM Parseth »

So I've been scanning over a bunch of classic modules and I was wondering if anyone ever thought of doing a take on the "FRC1 Ruins of Adventure" + "FRC2 Curse of the Azure Bonds" modules, using them as inspiration for a game played with in BFRPG. These modules are for AD&D but a module similar to them shouldn't be that hard. The big issue is probably that they are so intrinsically tied to the Forgotten Realms setting so any module for BFRPG should make sure never ever ever to get near that line and, possibly, make a whole new setting for the BFRPG module.

I think a "there is a city that only a small section of is inhabited by goodly folks and the rest is ruins filled with monsters, clear it out and learn what the heck is going on" is a really nifty idea and could be a campaign module even that takes characters from 1 to around 6th level or higher.

But I would love to hear other people's thoughts and ideas on this as well since I might be the one compelled to write it up and run my party through :lol:

~~~~

Now working on The Baroness of Blood, some PDFs and a map (these are basically pre-alpha, treat them as such).
The Baroness of Blood Setting.pdf
(281.45 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
The Baroness of Blood New Monsters.pdf
(270.76 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Corbsavie 5.png
Corbsavie 5.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 7990 times
Last edited by GM Parseth on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood
Hywaywolf

Re: Module ideas

Post by Hywaywolf »

ahem, err, we don't do versions of other modules. They are all creatively different and any thing that perchance seems familiar is just happenstance.

(yeah, thats the ticket)
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Oh, but of course! When I say things like that I mean "using these classic modules as inspiration for new modules that are clearly 100% original works". Sorry for the confusion, I'll edit the post to more accurately portray that.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I'm pretty sure I was just joking, but its possible I was serious.
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Hywaywolf wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:29 pm I'm pretty sure I was just joking, but its possible I was serious.
We may never know!

But the idea still stands - would a campaign module revolving around a singular city, mostly ruined and monster-infested but with a secure "civilized" portion be good?
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I think it sounds great! If you do one up I will certainly download it. But how would this be different from something like Morgansfort? Not doubting but I am curios as to what the differences would be since I have never read any of the "Forgotten Realms" stuff.
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Snarkythekobold wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 am I think it sounds great! If you do one up I will certainly download it. But how would this be different from something like Morgansfort? Not doubting but I am curios as to what the differences would be since I have never read any of the "Forgotten Realms" stuff.
Well, namely that while Morgansfort is a base and is fairly "open" in terms of nearby adventure sites, the modules FRC1 is a "here is a city, it was overran some years ago and only this small section of the city is now civilized. Are you a bad enough adventuring party to clear out all the monsters and find out why they are organizing recently?" Think Chaotic Caves if each cave portion was it's own ward of a city.

Needless to say it's a little crazy.

So my idea is that there is a large city, really large, with multiple wards and a few surrounding environs but the only "safe" area is the docks region. Big bad has a McGuffin and is intent on abusing it to the full extent that it can. As the players clear out each section (whether killing everything off, forming alliances, cutting deals, turning allied monsters into enemies, whatever) the city's safe zone grows and the type of rewards the city leader can offer grows more and more. It's still in a pre-alpha sort of phase in my brain but I hope I can hammer something out over the Summer now.
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

That sounds good. I like anything that has a meta-narrative/ overarching story or theme but is broken up into small bite-size missions. My players like to have a definite goal and not have to worry about remembering too much. However, they also get a kick when things intertwine.

I downloaded the original version of "Ruins of Adventure" and plan on doing something myself.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Set those commercial modules aside, and start from scratch with the idea, and all will be well. Take no chance of copying, in other words.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:48 pm Set those commercial modules aside, and start from scratch with the idea, and all will be well. Take no chance of copying, in other words.
That's the plan, captain!