The Russian Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dorei

Re: The Russian Translation

Post by Dorei »

In Russian the term ´ravnina´ = ´plain, plain landscape´ existed, but it can be forested.

The plain places without trees can be:

´lug´ = ´meadow, a plain site covered with grass´,

´pol´ana´ = ´glade, a place covered mainly with grass in forest or near the forest´

´pustoš´´ = ´waste, a not-inhabited and not-cultivated site´ (almost always not about forests in the modern language),

´step´´ = ´steppe, a plain landscape covered with grass´

´pol´e´ = ´field, a cultivated area´.

It seems for the landscape type of wild lands can be variant ´luga, stepi, pustoši´ = ´meadows, steppes, wastes´.

Jungles can be translated as ´džungli´ (dense tropical forest) or like ´čašča´ = ´dense part of forest´. It seems the later terms is suitable.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll bow to your judgment here.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jsp

Post by jsp »

Alright, here's spells section. Translation is a little bit different, unedited and unformatted.

Slowly translating monsters.
Attachments
bfrpg - spells alphabetical rus.odt
WIP Core Rules Spells Russian translation
(79.06 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
jsp

Post by jsp »

I meant it when I said 'Slowly'. Here's monsters section. Translation is unedited and unformatted.

Will start further slow translation.
Attachments
bfrpg - monsters descript alphabetical rus.odt
WIP Core Rules Monsters Russian translation
(172.78 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Last edited by jsp on Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

jsp, if you have removed the formatting from the translations, I won't be able to lay them out. I can "sort of" read French or Italian or Spanish, enough to figure out the sections and subsections, but I can't read any Russian at all. This will make the flow impossible for me to do.

Someone who can read Russian will have to do the layout. I can help in the most general sense but there's just no way I can do it myself.
jsp

Post by jsp »

When I started to translate the spells section, whole file was going bonkers. So I decided to focus on translating the text. When I'm done I hope to read whole thing, properly edit it, read it again, edit some more and only then inject it back into the file or, if needed, recreate it from the start to be like an original one.
Right now its very rough work in progress. I've posted it, cause you know how these translations go: one day people work on it, next day life happens.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, as long as you know what you're into here.
jsp

Post by jsp »

I've translated full text from the beginning (figured it would be much easier than trying to change Dorei's text to my glossary), but I need some clarifications before I can upload (and update) WIP files.
  1. p.5, Dwarven description: Does «They have a fair to ruddy complexion.» mean that they have fair to reddish skin?
  2. p.5, Dwarven special abilities: In «able to detect slanting passages, traps, shifting walls and new construction» does traps refer to stonework-related traps only or every trap type?
  3. p.13, Water Transportation table: Does «Riverboat» mean general category of river and lake vessels or does it mean a specific type of a ship like Caravel?
  4. p.39, start of Retainers: I have translated «associate» as companion. Would partner, coworker, ally or supporter be better?
  5. p.39, near the end of first column: Should bold «sword +1» read as shortsword +1, longsword +1 or it is perfectly fine as it is?
  6. p.43, starting scene: How «Tah» should be pronounced: like ah in Mahogany or like ah in Ah?
  7. p.49, Morale: Does «Morale is checked when monster(s) first encounter opposition» mean that morale is checked when monsters first encounter enemy or that when said enemy opposes their offence in combat?
  8. p.51, Energy Drain: I hope the meaning would not suffer if I omit the word «semi-permanent» from the first paragraph.
  9. p.51, Energy Drain: Does «an affected spell caster loses access to one of his or her highest-level spell slots» mean that each time a caster suffers from 1 negative level, he/she loses access to the highest level of spells?
  10. p.51, Energy Drain: Does «The victim may or may not be allowed a saving throw to resist the effect» refer to the effect of energy drain as a whole, or specifically effect of highest spell level loss?
  11. p.137, Heroism: Shouldn’t «Fighters of less than 3rd level gain +3 to attack bonus as well as gaining 3 hit dice.» read as «Fighters of 3rd level and lower +3 to attack bonus as well as gaining 3 hit dice.»? Because as it reads now levels 1-2 gain +3, levels 4-5 gain +2.
  12. p.154, end of second column: What exactly does «Special components can only be used once on such a project» mean? Does it mean that you use special components only one time on that specific item?
  13. p. 155, first column, second paragraph from the bottom: Does «or equivalent» in «The time required is one week plus one day per spell level (or equivalent)» mean or spell level of a newly created spell?
  14. p.161, end of second column: Does «Floors and thatched roofs cost as much and take as long to build as it would take to build the square footage of their bases of 1’ thick wood walls» mean that their cost in money and time equals the cost of outer walls which they are rested upon but if said walls were 1’ thick wood walls?
  15. p.163: Did such thing as screw exist? Sadly, haven't found with my google-fu anything for reference. As I understood it’s some kind of drilling rig, so I've translated it as such.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am I've translated full text from the beginning (figured it would be much easier than trying to change Dorei's text to my glossary), but I need some clarifications before I can upload (and update) WIP files.
  1. p.5, Dwarven description: Does «They have a fair to ruddy complexion.» mean that they have fair to reddish skin?
Yes.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.5, Dwarven special abilities: In «able to detect slanting passages, traps, shifting walls and new construction» does traps refer to stonework-related traps only or every trap type?
Yes.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.13, Water Transportation table: Does «Riverboat» mean general category of river and lake vessels or does it mean a specific type of a ship like Caravel?
Ack. Both? Riverboats are more "ad hoc" than seagoing vessels. They are flat bottomed and have as little draft as possible.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.39, start of Retainers: I have translated «associate» as companion. Would partner, coworker, ally or supporter be better?
"Retainer" implies a subordinate position, like the more general sense of lieutenant. Partner, coworker, and ally either imply equal status, or imply nothing about relevant status. "Supporter" is an odd word, in that it implies the supporter is following the lead of the character, but the supporter does not take an expressly subordinate position... the supporter doesn't necessarily take orders from the character. Associate, in modern English at least, implies equality of status (except possibly if you work at Wal-Mart). Thinking on it, I can't come up with an English word that means the same thing as "retainer," but "companion" is pretty close.

Can we get anywhere near "trusted companion" in place of "close associate?" "Close companion" indicates friendship more than anything else.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.39, near the end of first column: Should bold «sword +1» read as shortsword +1, longsword +1 or it is perfectly fine as it is?
Fine as is.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.43, starting scene: How «Tah» should be pronounced: like ah in Mahogany or like ah in Ah?
Um... those two pronunciations are the same. Ah in mahogany is ah in ah. This makes me suspect I'm not understanding something here.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.49, Morale: Does «Morale is checked when monster(s) first encounter opposition» mean that morale is checked when monsters first encounter enemy or that when said enemy opposes their offence in combat?
The nature of opposition is left to the judgement of the GM. Don't nail down anything I didn't nail down, please.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.51, Energy Drain: I hope the meaning would not suffer if I omit the word «semi-permanent» from the first paragraph.
Probably not. I might use the word "persistent" in its place.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.51, Energy Drain: Does «an affected spell caster loses access to one of his or her highest-level spell slots» mean that each time a caster suffers from 1 negative level, he/she loses access to the highest level of spells?
No. An 8th level magic-user who suffers a level of energy drain normally has two 4th level spell slots; he or she loses one of them, and can only cast one 4th level spell per day.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.51, Energy Drain: Does «The victim may or may not be allowed a saving throw to resist the effect» refer to the effect of energy drain as a whole, or specifically effect of highest spell level loss?
As a whole.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.137, Heroism: Shouldn’t «Fighters of less than 3rd level gain +3 to attack bonus as well as gaining 3 hit dice.» read as «Fighters of 3rd level and lower +3 to attack bonus as well as gaining 3 hit dice.»? Because as it reads now levels 1-2 gain +3, levels 4-5 gain +2.
Ack, you are correct. I'll add that to my list for R108.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.154, end of second column: What exactly does «Special components can only be used once on such a project» mean? Does it mean that you use special components only one time on that specific item?
Special components are consumed by the creation of the item; they cannot be used twice.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p. 155, first column, second paragraph from the bottom: Does «or equivalent» in «The time required is one week plus one day per spell level (or equivalent)» mean or spell level of a newly created spell?
Yeah, basically. The level of the spell if it was a spell. If that makes sense.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.161, end of second column: Does «Floors and thatched roofs cost as much and take as long to build as it would take to build the square footage of their bases of 1’ thick wood walls» mean that their cost in money and time equals the cost of outer walls which they are rested upon but if said walls were 1’ thick wood walls?
No. The cost of a floor or a thatched roof is the same as the cost of a 1' thick wooden wall of the same square footage.
jsp wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am[*]p.163: Did such thing as screw exist? Sadly, haven't found with my google-fu anything for reference. As I understood it’s some kind of drilling rig, so I've translated it as such.[/list]
Yes, it did. Gygax said it, so it must be so. :D Seriously, though... I am having the same trouble you are. It may be apocryphal, or perhaps real but not really as common as suggested. The screw was, I'm told, used to pry the stones apart. Picks might be used instead for the same result, either one under the cover of a "sow" or movable shelter.
jsp

Post by jsp »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 pmYes.
Sorry, didn't understand, so let me rephrase: do Dwarves detect only stone related traps?
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 pm Can we get anywhere near "trusted companion" in place of "close associate?"
Works great. Retainer itself was a fun (if doubt is ever fun) word to translate.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 pm Um... those two pronunciations are the same. Ah in mahogany is ah in ah. This makes me suspect I'm not understanding something here.
Yeah, that was bad example. Well, what I've meant to ask is: does 'h' have any sound? So, I guess there is no silent 'h' at the end.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 pm The nature of opposition is left to the judgement of the GM. Don't nail down anything I didn't nail down, please.
This is a tricky one. I cannot translate it directly as opposition, so the closest word would be 'resistance'.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 pm No. An 8th level magic-user who suffers a level of energy drain normally has two 4th level spell slots; he or she loses one of them, and can only cast one 4th level spell per day.
Sorry, that was a shameful example of me reading with anything but my eyes.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 pm No. The cost of a floor or a thatched roof is the same as the cost of a 1' thick wooden wall of the same square footage.
Sorry, another one but this time reading my own translation before asking question. Not that my initial translation was wrong, but still needed to rephrase it slightly like in your answer. This plus example in the text below should remove any confusion.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 pm Yes, it did. Gygax said it, so it must be so. Seriously, though... I am having the same trouble you are. It may be apocryphal, or perhaps real but not really as common as suggested. The screw was, I'm told, used to pry the stones apart. Picks might be used instead for the same result, either one under the cover of a "sow" or movable shelter.
Well, for now it will be 'drill', but I'll try to research more.