BF1 Morgansfort

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Mr Dark

Re: BF1 Morgansfort

Post by Mr Dark »

Just a quick question on the overall setting. Is Morgansfort connected to Glain or is it it's own setting?
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Morgansfort is set in the Western Lands, a sketchy campaign area I put together for a game I never published, then reworked for Basic Fantasy when I needed one. It is not the same world as Glain.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mr Dark

Post by Mr Dark »

Thanks, I have decided to sketch them both into my own setting but will be borrowing ideas.
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Working on R27.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

R27 sent to Solo.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

R27 is going to take me a bit. It's OLD, after all; I wrote much of it before I wrote BFRPG. The layout is flaky, and I never applied the "page flip" rule to it. Getting the flow right is driving me nuts.

I have managed to get the entire Tomb (the last room) of Old Island Fortress on a two page even-odd spread, though; I think that alone may make this worth the effort.

Also added some of Bruce Ripple's artwork from his Grab Bag thread, mainly as a device to fix up the flow.
rpgnewb

Post by rpgnewb »

Hi really new to this and was hoping for some help,
I'm reading through morgansfort to DM for a group of new players and am confused by some of the listings in stat blocks for npcs and monsters please could anybody be able to help me by answering some of the questions i have below?

1) on page 14 the lieutenants have HD and hp i really don't understand why they have both can someone please explain?

2) i am unsure of the number of monsters that appear in a random encounter for example on p.17:
'2d4 goblins (10 total)'
the 2d4 makes me think there will be between 2 and 8 goblins but how do you end up with 10?

**in typing this i think i answered the next question myself but would love someone to tell me ive understood this correctly**
3) I thought for monsters hp was determined by hit dice (with a d8 being the standard dice) so if (using the goblin again as an example) HD:2 the monsters hp would be between 2 and 8.

are the hp checkboxes of 10 goblins just to speed up the DM rolling to generate hp for these encounters?
if so why list HD at all? is it so that you can find the xp rewarded for defeating those goblins?

4)
I have no idea what the stat Sv F1 can you tell me or point me to where i can find a key for the stat block abbreviations?

p.s. really sorry if ive posted this in the wrong place, very new at this.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Seems your biggest confusion is HD.

HD determines the type of die rolled, and how many times to figure out the Hit Points.

HD also determines the basic Attack Bonus that the monster/creature uses when making attacks. For the most part (at least until higher levels), HD equals the Attack Bonus used. There may be exceptions.

HD usually determines how a monster saves, and it is associated with a class table to reference. Example: Orc with 1 HD saves as Fighter level 1. There are a handful of creatures that save using other class tables.

(1) as described above, will determine how they attack (in addition to the HP amount shown).

(2) 2d4 (10 total). This may well be a typo, or something that got changed incompletely. Though I have not looked at the page reference to be absolutely sure.

(3) not really sure what is going on there. perhaps typo again.

(4) Sv F1 means "saves as Fighter level 1"
Most monsters save as Fighters according to their HD, however there are exceptions. You might see Sv MU#
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
rpgnewb

Post by rpgnewb »

Thanks for clearing that up, that was driving me nuts trying to figure it out!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

To answer another part of your question, if you roll goblins on the encounter table, you then roll 2d4 for how many are in the group. But there are at most 10 goblins available in this dungeon who can be encountered; once they are "used up" there will not be any more. Obviously, if you roll 6 (for example) and the party has already encountered and slain 5, you cannot have them encounter 6; in that case, the remaining 5 are all that show up.