Handy Dandy Spell Look up by Level!

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Nekron99

Re: Handy Dandy Spell Look up by Level!

Post by Nekron99 »

Question about some of the cards.

On certain ones like Charm Monster, Charm Person and probably others, there are ? marks before some of the numbers. What are those supposed to represent or are they typos?

Edited: After looking up the actual spells in the book I see that they are probably formatting errors. In the book they are represented by < or > symbols.
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
geissingert

Post by geissingert »

Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't notice that when I copied that in the my database.

I have regenerated the pdf and updated it without the ? and with the correct character.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

Success! Good stuff man. Printed these off on cardstock, cut em out and presented them to my spell casters in the party. Huge success, well liked and oft used. Don't know what the trigger was but my players (children 7-18) always seem to have their spell selection as a second thought, but having these cards in front of them goaded them into not only using spells but using them in more interesting ways.
At one point a player found a scroll, I handed her two of the spell cards that were on the scroll and she was ecstatic, then she traded one of the spells to another player for a magic item she wanted.

Do you have a blank template for the cards? Not only are the other supplement spells needed, but certain player created ones as well.
I am printing off another set, and if I can line up the backs they will have the Basic Fantasy scribble dragon on them with the battlement boarder.
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
geissingert

Post by geissingert »

Attached is a template for the cards.
BasicFantasySpellCardTemplate.pdf
(18.91 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Haronniin

Post by Haronniin »

Nice! Thanks. That will be a help to my players.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

FYI, Page 7: I think it's supposed to read "Caster soul dies if BODY isn't in range" not "if BOY isn't..."

From a typographic perspective:
The dotted lines for range and duration don't add anything but tend to run into the 'g' of 'Range'. Might get rid of them. Placing the type (MU/C) and level (#) up top might be a good idea, too. Personally I'd find that information as important as anything else. The light boxes around the source and page are pretty weak; perhaps they can be put where the type/level is now.

Just some minor suggestions, it looks good.
WandererExiled

Post by WandererExiled »

geissingert wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 pm I have attached the pdf.

Again credit goes to WandererExiled because 95% of the work went into typing in the text used for the cards. Thanks WandererExiled for the spreadsheet.

BasicFantasySpellCards.pdf

Thanks for the PDF and Crediting me in the work. Majority of credit goes to Chris and the contributors of CORE RULES book. I simply compiled a searchable database for those who don't have the time or ability to search them quickly in the book. When I get time I do plan on adding suppliments. It was a fun challenge I'd like to see again.